Menu

4th grade math curriculum suggestions

LeslieP

We used Miquon for 1st and 2nd grade without any real problems. It was never her favorite subject, but she was progressing and doing well with it. But when we started using it for 3rd grade, we hit a wall. Dd began to loathe math and would start whining/crying as soon as we pulled it out. We were taking longer and longer to cover lessons and it didn't seem like we were getting anywhere. She said she wished it would just tell her what she was supposed to do.

After much consideration, I switched math programs in the middle of the year. Ds was using McRuffy Math and loving it, so I switched dd to McRuffy 3rd Grade math. She loved it. Loved the timed tests, loved the puzzle days, etc. No problems, no issues with any of the skills, went through tests with flying colors.

But now I'm not sure what to do about 4th grade math. McRuffy says they are working on 4th grade math for this fall but not sure if it will be ready when we will be ready to start school. So, I am trying to decide on an alternate math program. From everything I have read on the boards, I think Saxon would be way to repetitive and boring for her. She doesn't have problems understanding the math concepts as long as they are laid out clearly and concisely. On the otherhand, I think Singapore would not have enough practice work for her. I was looking at Horizons. Any other suggestions that might be a good fit for her?

I second CLE...we recently started it and finally found a wonderful fit for math. The only negative my 8yo son has about it is that it doesn't have color. He loves the way the lessons are set up, and especially likes the speed drills! It is working very well for us, and I am about to add my daughter in with the middle of first grade next week. :001_smile:

In CLE, each LightUnit has 17 lessons, and there are 10 LightUnits per year. The 17th lesson in each one is a fun lesson and is optional. So there are 160 lessons per year, or 170 if you do all of the "just for fun" lessons.

My ds is doing the 300 level right now, and each lesson takes us about 30 minutes.