Menu

concerning Stayon Upton Practical Arithmetic

I know someone posted about this program. I am interested in it for my 4th grader - but what is there available for an 8th grader in Algebra 1? I looked it up on the Systematic Mathematics website and it looks like you move on to their program after the Practical Arithmetic Program? Where can I learn more? Thanks.

I would just read through the www. systemath.com site and look at the exit tests for each module. They also have a math rescue program to get up to speed if you are headed into Algebra.

I haven't previewed all the dvds yet (there are hours and hours), but I own them all, and will post here when I get the chance.

So far my son is really enjoying Level 6.:)

My son has completed all of the SM modules except Alg 2, "factoring" and "building number systems" (we just went back to factoring, mid-Geometry). Both of those are considered an "optional" modules, but I wish we'd done both the first time!

Like Caroline posted, you can download the end of module tests on the website to get an idea of where your kid would place. The only thing I would caution is that Paul uses an "old style" of mathematics that really builds on previous concepts. Even though your child may have completed arithmetic, it may be in your best interests to start at module 6. I was amazed at how much Paul covered that simply wasn't IN the other math we'd been doing (ALEKS).

The only thing to recognize is that you will have to find a formal geometry program (and trig and calc if you're going that far), as Paul only addresses the shapes aspect of geometry, and stops at Alg 2. My DS is doing MUS for geometry, as the style is similar, and will start back with SM Alg 2 in the fall. Then I guess we'll go back to MUS for the rest.

HTH

a