Menu

Christian Light Language arts for 3rd grade

I am considering this for my daughter for 3rd grade.I searched for any other threads on this and mostly just found for sale ads..

Any way - we have used Growing with grammar but I feel it is not rigorous enough and is too repetitive.

So what are the pros and the cons of Christian Light Language arts in your opinion?

Thank you in Advance,

Chelsea

Well CLE La is a gentle yet rigorous program at the same time. Gentle more in the early years and it gets more rigorous as you progress.

Right now my oldest is finishing up the 300 Level of CLE's LA and she's really enjoyed it. I'm surprised beause she really hasn't enjoyed the math as much as I wish she would have.

Pros:

In workbook form and is portable(big plus for us)

Spirals, gives just a little review from previous concepts. To me its the right amount. Not to much, not to little.

Includes diagramming

Starting at the 300 level your student can work on this very independently.

Includes spelling, which you can use it or not and it will not affect the program in anyway

Cons:

Not a colorful grammar program.

Some children don't need review of concepts

That's about it. Really I find there are more pros to this program then cons. The nice part is that the Light Units are inexpensive and you can buy a few and try it out before committing to the whole program.

CLE teaches the student to become an independent learner. If your child learns best with direct teaching from you then this program maynot be for you and your family. Of course you still have a role at answer questions and maybe teaching a concept or two that isn't clear to them from the workbook. Other then that it is an excellent program.

Also there is a very active Christian Light forum on yahoo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianLightFamilies

We used CLE for 2nd grade this year (Math & LA) and will use the 300 levels in the fall. I agree with Tracy on her points regarding the LA program. We skipped some of the writing since we were using WWE, but CLE LA was my daughter's favorite subject this year.

Here is a thread I think you will find useful, particularly the last post (links to other threads re: CLE LA).

I switched my 3rd grade dd over to CLE from Rod & Staff in the middle of this school year and we have never been happier! A couple years ago we started off using their Math just to try it out. We liked the layout and its ease of use so much that now we are using CLE for Math, Bible, Language Arts, and Reading. I definitely agree with the pros & cons listed in another post. The program looks simple & easy, but it is quite challenging yet gentle. HTH

Blessings,

Libby in Texas :)