Menu

TOG users - how do you hold back the reins on doing it all?

I used Year 3 Redesign this past year (units 3 and 4) and was pretty good at keeping the amount of work under control. I don't feel like we did too much. However, I'm using Classic next year for Year 4 and it's turning out to be a bit harder. I keep seeing books that get me thinking, "Oh, it would be great to cover the Panama Canal - and Charles Lindbergh - and Hawaii - and..."

So, how do you do it? How do you put on the blinders and keep from being distracted by all the great books? (I've tried limiting it by what our library offers, but we have a good library that offers a lot of the TOG books, so that's not getting me very far) Help!

I just figured this out for our family! It has taken me a couple of years to get it down. I make myself use the same format for each week. I am only scheduling a LG student, though.

I only allow myself to use one history spine for the week.

I can only pick up to 2 literature suggestions per week.

I added timeline figures in my mix because I plan my notebooking pages in advance, and I like to know how many people we have in a particular week.

The activities get me every time! Everything looks like a great project. I am allowed to schedule 3 activities. If I can't decide then I have to schedule an extra week which would then put me into next summer to finish so it has to be worth it.

I use a book basket for read alouds, and independant reading. My book basket can span up to 2 weeks in either direction. This allows me some breathing room. Any extra books I think look really good go into the extras section. I allow myself to choose a max of 5. I always write the list of books down so I don't tempt myself by having to look at all the wonderful books again.

I am using the AG guide for SOTW so I don't inculde geography into my list.

I use the vocabulary section on occasion. I have a max set amount of words I allow my self to pick from. If that is scheduled it goes into the extra section.

History spine pages(for me it is SOTW)-

Literature-

Art-

Timeline figures-

Activities-

Notebooking pages-

Extras-

HTH

I especially like the idea of a book basket including books from two weeks on either side. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. That would help. It would be a good option for those "in-depth" books.

I request all the books I can from the alternatives section from the library. If one of my children gets her work done, then I give her one of those to read. She doesn't have to read it if she doesn't want to. I will sometimes read the LG books to my younger girls, if they are appropriate and not too long. They are often above their heads wrt reading level and content.

The rest of the books that I get from the library go into a book basket and the girls can read them when/if they would like.

I request all the books I can from the alternatives section from the library. If one of my children gets her work done, then I give her one of those to read. She doesn't have to read it if she doesn't want to. I will sometimes read the LG books to my younger girls, if they are appropriate and not too long. They are often above their heads wrt reading level and content.

The rest of the books that I get from the library go into a book basket and the girls can read them when/if they would like.

Have the books available, but don't make them required. Thanks!