Menu

Could a 7th grader do Homer if he has not done any CW previously? Or do they have to start with Older Beginners?

Thank you,

Renee

Renee,

I would probably do the older beginners.

In Aesop they learn to outline, to define vocab, to add and properly punctuate quotations, to add descriptive detail and the parts of speech as well as retell a story. If your child can do all that then they should be able to go directly to Homer, if you prefer that.

Heather

I am no expert on CW. We will just be starting it next year but I have chosen to do the older beginners with my 7th grader even though he completed WT2 in 5th grade and has been outlining and writing 1 page summaries all this year as well as all of the R&S English 6 writing assignments. My reason for choosing OB rather than Homer A is that I want to complete Homer in 1 year so that we can move to the next level for 8th grade. Maybe this is just another way to think about it.

OB is just quicker.

If you use the work books, Homer is designed to take two years, but OB does all of Aesop and Homer in 22 weeks. And really Aesop is only the first two (maybe three) weeks. The Aesop stuff can be done with out the cores or skipped too, if it is $ that is making things questionable.

Of course if you understand what is going on, speeding through Homer isn't that hard, you'll just start at what ever level of each day they are ready for and move them through as quickly or as slowly as they need.

Cynthia,

So, he should do Homer A/B all in one year? How many lessons is that? I think he is strong in writing and grammar, but I guess I don't really know what that means.

Another question for anyone who can help. What will he be able to write at the end of this year? I know he'll be re-writing classic works, but when does he learn to write a report, essay, etc.

Thank you all very much,

Renee

Oh, one more thing. I read somewhere on a review (not on the WTM boards) that the teacher must mark up her own copy because this is not done for you. What does this mean? What if I don't know how, or if I do it wrong (whatever it is)?

I really want to do CW with my kids next year. It looks so interesting to me. It also looks challenging and will force them to really think. I would have one doing the primary book, one in Aesop, and one in Homer or OB. I have other children, 2 older who are going to Christian school next year, and 3 younger (6, 4, and newborn). I know, I am crazy for even attempting this, but I just can't seem to get myself to do anything else. I guess I would always wonder if I could have done it. My plan is to do writing first thing in the morning so that it gets done and doesn't get put off. (Like it does now...) All of you veteran CW users.....Please be honest....am I out of my mind? Are the benefits of this program really worth all of my time and energy? What are some of the fruit that you have seen?

Thank you again,

Renee

Cynthia,

So, he should do Homer A/B all in one year? How many lessons is that? I think he is strong in writing and grammar, but I guess I don't really know what that means.

Another question for anyone who can help. What will he be able to write at the end of this year? I know he'll be re-writing classic works, but when does he learn to write a report, essay, etc.

Thank you all very much,

Renee

By strong in grammar, I mean that the student remembers the terms and can easily recognize them. The only reason for this is that the Older Beginner moves quickly and it can be too overwhelming to a student who needs to solidify their grammar more.

Homer A/B would be 40 weeks total. But you don't have to do all the lessons. It has 4 lessons per level (10 total levels). So you can easily just do 3 per level if the student is getting it. If your student does not need the extra time on grammar, I would use OB.

CW Homer covers narratives. CW Diogenes teaches essays. One or more of the higher levels teaches research papers (if I remembering correctly.) It is not your basic writing program that covers all the different types of writing during a year.

Oh, one more thing. I read somewhere on a review (not on the WTM boards) that the teacher must mark up her own copy because this is not done for you. What does this mean? What if I don't know how, or if I do it wrong (whatever it is)?

I really want to do CW with my kids next year. It looks so interesting to me. It also looks challenging and will force them to really think. I would have one doing the primary book, one in Aesop, and one in Homer or OB. I have other children, 2 older who are going to Christian school next year, and 3 younger (6, 4, and newborn). I know, I am crazy for even attempting this, but I just can't seem to get myself to do anything else. I guess I would always wonder if I could have done it. My plan is to do writing first thing in the morning so that it gets done and doesn't get put off. (Like it does now...) All of you veteran CW users.....Please be honest....am I out of my mind? Are the benefits of this program really worth all of my time and energy? What are some of the fruit that you have seen?

Thank you again,

Renee

The answer key does not have everything answered for you. So there is some brain input on your part. The Homer A/B key breaks down the scenes for you whereas the OB key does not.

I think CW is worth the time invested but it isn't always evident immediately. It teaches the student many different techniques that they can apply to any writing. But you may not see the fruit right way. I do know that my oldest's writing has matured greatly in the last year. But it isn't totally quantifiable.

What are the things that are not answered for you? And how do you know if you are getting the answers right?

In OB, the scenes for day one are shown for you but the Theon's components aren't. (These are shown in Homer A.) The diagramming is shown. A lot in Days 2-4 don't have exact answers so you will need to know what they are supposed to be doing in order to correct their work. There is a chart in the student workbook to help you grade the writing project.

If you are unsure on an answer, you can post on the CW message board and get an answer within 24 hours.