Menu

What would you use for Latin in our situation?

Dd14 will be in 9th next year. We've done LC1 & 2 but took a break this year from any language. Next year we'll be starting RS Spanish and we're wanting to get in two years of Latin in high school next year. We disliked LC1 and 2 but just slogged through to get them done. We want something inexpensive, interesting, more fun than LC and one that would have 2 years so we could have the two years on her transcript. In other words, I don't want to have a great one-year program and have to hunt something down next year. Would Henle be a good choice? What would be good for us?

Look into Wheelock's Latin (grammar book and a workbook per child). It is a college-level course, so it is designed for two years of high school Latin. We did LC 1&2 first, and are now almost through our first year in Wheelock's.

FWIW, we are currently using the 6th edition of the grammar along with its corresponding 3rd edition workbook.

Wheelock's! My dd uses and loves this text. Her online class spreads it out over two years for two credits. It's considered a college-level text.

I have no experience with Henle, but I believe that LCI and LCII were written as pre-texts to Henle, so I'm not sure you'd like Henle if you didn't like LC.

Dd14 will be in 9th next year. We've done LC1 & 2 but took a break this year from any language. Next year we'll be starting RS Spanish and we're wanting to get in two years of Latin in high school next year. We disliked LC1 and 2 but just slogged through to get them done. We want something inexpensive, interesting, more fun than LC and one that would have 2 years so we could have the two years on her transcript. In other words, I don't want to have a great one-year program and have to hunt something down next year. Would Henle be a good choice? What would be good for us?

For a grammar-based textbook, Wheelock's is quite reasonable. You'll pay about $14 new on Amazon. Be sure to get the latest edition (6th, revised). You can add on additional helps as necessary. The 4 CD set (audio) will run about $40 new. There are quite a few additional items: workbook, study guide, flashcards, computer programs. You may or may not need those. (You can make your own flashcards. There are lots of Quia games available online.) This is a grammar-based program, but introduces reading material quickly. It is a college level textbook, but if you slow down the pacing, it's just fine. The editor answers pacing questions here: http://wheelockslatin.com/lafleur.htm This program will probably take about 2 years.

Another idea is Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata. This is available in book format, but also on CD ROM. (It's not printable, but it is interactive, and it includes the audio. The PC version is 2 discs, sold separately, for about $24 apiece containing each volume. The Mac version is one disc containing both volumes for about $50. Both have exercises included as well. This is an immersion course. There is an English commentary, about $25. The 2 volumes will take you two years to cover.

Cambridge Latin has a high interest story and you can generally find the textbook used on Amazon for $5-15. The audio CD runs about $25. Workbooks run about $12 per year. This is a reading-based course. There are four volumes, one per year. You might actually complete the first volume fairly quickly. If you're willing to purchase used, this is pretty reasonable. New on Amazon, each year's volume is about $15 paperback.

The reading material in Wheelock's is adapted from authentic Roman authors, so there isn't a storyline, but the material will likely spark some discussion. Lingua Latina and Cambridge have running storylines.

Edited by latinteach