Menu

SOTW with 1 & 4th graders

kilo90

My daughter will be in 4th grade and ready for SOTW 4 this fall. Any suggestions on how to bring my 1st grade son into history? It seems like it would be goofy for him to start with vol. 4. I'm eventually going to run into the same issue with my 3rd child who is 3 years younger. Do I just "plug them in" where I am with my oldest?

Thank you for the help-

Gloria

There have actually been quite a few threads on what to do with the little ones while the bigger kids do SOTW 4 lately. Personally, I am going to let my 3rd grader do a Presidents & US geography unit study, and I'm just getting him some age appropriate books that hit the highlights of the time period. Lori D posted a GREAT list for this on one of the SOTW 4 threads. Veritas sells a set of early readers for this time period also (look in the 6th grade, 1815-modern stuff). I have chosen to try and keep mine on the same time period for as long as possible just for my sanity:0) and for field trips and dvd viewing and such. My goal is to have them start over in the Ancients at 9th grade no matter where they are. My oldest is right on track, my dd is a year "behind" and my other ds will be a year "ahead"-starting back with ancients in 4th grade. I will probably fill in with a year of geography with him at some point, once my oldest graduates.

hth

Kim, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I think I must have searched the "general" board and not "curriculum" board accidentally. I came up with zilch on the topic which I found very odd. I found some of the threads you referred to. Thanks.

I like the plan of getting age appropriate books and going that route. I will definitely check out the Veritas Press site.

Thanks again

Gloria

span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }