Menu

Went to a home school graduation last night and now I want to weep

In fact, my husband would tell you that the math and engineering classes that he took at jr. colleges were much, much better in quality than the ones he took at a prestigious state school (which were usually taught by bored profs or barely-English-speaking TAs).
Ditto here. I was really impressed with the quality of my community college. And my DH went to a Technical College in Germany and also said it was much better than the universities.

I went straight off to community college after high school (graduated with honors and was in the GT program) Then I floundered around trying to figure out what to study. I was good at so many things that I couldn't find my niche. Got fed up with computer science, moved to Germany, and worked for 8 years as a software QA engineer. Then I met my husband, had 2 kids, moved back to the States and now I FINALLY know what I want to study: accounting. Some people take a while to decide. LOL! Starting at a CC in the fall.

I'm only 28 and I've accomplished a lot in my life. If anything, I'm going to encourage my children NOT to go to college unless they really know what they want to study or have a full scholarship (no point in turning down free money). Instead, take some time off, work, travel, get to know yourself and THEN go to college. Or not. The times are changing.

I used to be in charge of selecting new hires for my department (yes, the only one without a degree was in charge of hiring) and I'd get a flood of resumes for every job opening. To tell you the truth, the college degree is only important for the entry-level position. After that, we want to know what you've DONE (and "going to college" doesn't count as doing anything). Of course, it's different in academia, but in business: experience and abilities count most.

Edited by VanessaS

I was surrounded by kids with ambition and focus. That is my desire for my kids. My original post meant to say that I am discouraged to find out that this is not the case.

They are out there ( ex in my post). You have to find them.... just like trying to research and find the greatest private school.

Kids are always going to migrate to the cool or fun or simple (for the most part). YOU have to involve them in more & often gently/lovingly PUSH them in that direction.