Menu

Harding University

luv2quilt

I would like to tell everyone about a fantastic Christian, liberal arts university in Searcy, Arkansas that some of you may want to put on your list of universities to visit. The university's website is www.harding.edu. The university has around 6,000 students (undergrad & grad). They offer 90 degree options (including engineering, pre-med, top-notch nursing & pharmacy school), 7 study abroad locations (Italy, France/Switzerland,England, Greece, Australia, Zambia and Chile), an honors college that is wonderful, first rate choral and drama groups, outstanding athletics (football, basketball, soccer, track). There are a large number of homeschooled students on campus. In fact the majority of the girls on my daughter's dorm floor were homeschooled. In fact, they actively attract homeschooled students. Students come from all 50 U.S. states and 40 countries which provides a very international flair to the student body. Dedicated faculty and staff (and especially the president of the University) are always ready to give individual attention and often host mid-week Bible studies and other events in their homes. When you walk across campus you are very impressed by not only the camus but by the wonderful students and teachers you meet. They offer numerous scholarships and the admissions department is very helpful in finding scholarships, grants, and other financial aid for their students. The university also has an American Studies Institute that host speakers throughout the year like Ben Stein, President H.W. Bush, Gorbechev,Colin Powell, Margaret Thatcher and many others.

The university's mission is "To integrate faith, learning, and living" and their motto is "Developing Christian Servants."

• 3 months later...

Bringing this thread back up to see if anyone here has any personal experience with Harding. It just came on our radar as I've been expanding my search for my oldest son. He wants to major in Economic/Community/Global Development and Economics. Essentially he wants to go to third world countries and help set up working economies based on business and/or microfinance.

On Harding's website I can't find a 'what we believe' (more importantly, 'what we teach') with regards to Christianity. I see that they are affiliated with the churches of Christ, but when I type that in google (small 'c' on churches as they list) I get a non-denominational website that also doesn't list much - nor does it list Harding as an affiliation - so I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or wrong.

My son's test scores easily put him in the top 25% of students that go there - which is a concern for me with regards to level of academics, BUT they appear to have a world-wide outreach that could match his major, so...

As an east coaster, with admittedly VERY little experience in Christian colleges, I'd never heard of this place before, so any info - either here or through a pm - would be appreciated.

I have missionary friends whose two oldest daughters attend Harding and have been very pleased. I found this page on their website (http://www.harding.edu/spiritualPreface.html) that talks about their beliefs. The churches of Christ which Harding is affiliated with are part of what is called the Stone-Campbell or Restoration Movement and are largely non-instrumental or a capella in their worship. I don't know how firmly they hold to non-instrumental worship. I attend and am employed at a university which is part of the instrumental Christian churches. They preach and teach the Bible as the word of God, believe in believer's baptism, weekly observance of the Lord's Supper or Communion, and have a strong missions emphasis. The Christian church/Churches of Christ are often quoted as saying "We have no creed but Christ" and "Where the Bible speak, we speak. Where the Bible is silent, we are silent." HTH!

I have missionary friends whose two oldest daughters attend Harding and have been very pleased. I found this page on their website (http://www.harding.edu/spiritualPreface.html) that talks about their beliefs. The churches of Christ which Harding is affiliated with are part of what is called the Stone-Campbell or Restoration Movement and are largely non-instrumental or a capella in their worship. I don't know how firmly they hold to non-instrumental worship. I attend and am employed at a university which is part of the instrumental Christian churches. They preach and teach the Bible as the word of God, believe in believer's baptism, weekly observance of the Lord's Supper or Communion, and have a strong missions emphasis. The Christian church/Churches of Christ are often quoted as saying "We have no creed but Christ" and "Where the Bible speak, we speak. Where the Bible is silent, we are silent." HTH!

Thanks! That does help quite a bit. Now I just have to ponder if I want to consider a college 17 hours from home... previously I had set a limit of a day's drive. While 17 hours is technically within a 24 hour day... it is hardly an 'easy' day's drive. It is probably worth a visit soon though... then the pondering.