Menu

Exploration Education-anyone try this and not like it?

VBCaroline

I'm considering this for my 5th gr ds next year. SWB recommends this as an alternative to kits and RS4K in 8th grade. I'm using PH Science Explorer texts for my older girls, but my son will definitely need something more hands-on. Most of the reviews on this board have been positive. If you tried it and dropped it, what didn't you like about it?

Thanks.

Caroline

We started it at the beginning of this year but had to stop it after the first unit (Forces, Machines, Motion & Energy). Ds got really tired of writing in the student logbook and some of the experiments did not work well (especially the one measuring forces). We also found this curriculum weak on text. So we switched to a traditional textbook, added reading from the library, and used the experiments in EE science as hands-on learning. We liked it much better this way. And it just so happened that the experiments in unit 2 and 3 are better and more fun for us.

If you are using it mainly for hands-on learning, you probably won't be disappointed.

To us, the best part of the program is the CD and materials for experiments. Teacher's Manual and Student Logbook were not necessary. But too bad they don't offer just CD and experiment kit for sale.

Whether it is worth it or not would depend on what you want out of it. I'd say over all we had fun with the experiments, it saved me the work of sifting through books to find proper experiments to do, and it saved me time too because I didn't need to go to many different places to buy supplies for the experiments.