Menu

Research papers for grade 7? How do I do this? How long should it be?

Hoggirl

I am still muddling along with literature and writing ideas for next year. A friend of mine is going to have her 7th grader do a research paper using the MLA handbook. I have also asked her how she is going to go about this! It has been a looooong time since I did a research paper. Is MLA the format to teach? Is there some sort of WONDERFUL, teacher-friendly, student-friendly book on how to write a research paper???? How long should a research paper be for a 7th grader? How do you have them choose a topic? Would you do this as, say, a six-week writing project?

Okay, that is waaay too many questions. But thanks for "listening."

Teaching The Research Paper from Analytical Grammar includes a DVD and guide for only $15! Wow! You can watch a video overview:

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/teaching-the-essay

CLE has instructions for writing a research paper for $3.10! We'll be using this next year as part of CLE Language Arts for 8th grade.

http://www.clp.org/product/research_paper_ii_1636

We are in the middle of writing a research paper using A Beka 7. It's clear and step by step, but not written directly to the student. I'm looking forward to seeing how CLE does it.

I let my daughter choose any topic from history or science. She chose Napoleon as she was inspired by the book "Betsy and the Emperor." We've checked out books from the library, she is reading, ruminating and collecting her thoughts. She will spend the next 4 weeks outlining, note taking & writing. I'm not picky about how long it is - we'll see what her outline looks like next week and go from there.

Edited by amtmcm
addition

I had only been able to find the elementary research paper at CLE for some reason! Also, do you know how many pages 900 words is? LOL! That was the requirement for the CLE paper.

Is the AG one designed for the student to watch or the teacher? It sounds like the latter. Sorry, I haven't watched the sample yet.

Thanks, again! I appreciate it.

I am still muddling along with literature and writing ideas for next year. A friend of mine is going to have her 7th grader do a research paper using the MLA handbook. I have also asked her how she is going to go about this! It has been a looooong time since I did a research paper. Is MLA the format to teach? Is there some sort of WONDERFUL, teacher-friendly, student-friendly book on how to write a research paper???? How long should a research paper be for a 7th grader? How do you have them choose a topic? Would you do this as, say, a six-week writing project?

Okay, that is waaay too many questions. But thanks for "listening."

Have you seen Susan's article "Writing the Reseach Paper"? http://www.welltrainedmind.com/tacklingtheresearchpaper1.php

I'm in no way affiliated with home2teach but just want to mention that the home2teach.com's Report Writing class is an excellent place to start report writing. It's very rigorous for ds maybe because it is structured and very specific guidelines on how to go about it. But it produced the desired paper that one can proudly show to everyone. Ds has to start at Fundamentals 2 class at the beginning of the year, repeat Fund2, go to Narrative Writing, and then took Report Writing for Session 4. This is by far one of the most useful class he has taken with home2teach. After this RW class, you can duplicate the steps and choose your own topics for practice on your own.

Highly recommended.