Menu

Easing my daughter into high school ...

... after mainly unschooling from grades 6 to 8 (public school from K-5) ...

Ambleside Online looks more doable with her than TWTM. I love TWTM. I might follow it myself, but it looks too intense for my ADHD daughter. She is a very good reader (loves to read), but needs a lot of work on her writing and other stuff. She has a very short attention span. Since I have had her at home, I haven't had her on medicine.

Anyway ... I was thinking of having her start with Pre-7 just to get her used to the Ambleside (CM) way.

What do you think?

I am thinking of using AO for my 8th grader this year too. She might go back to school for 9th grade, so I've only got one more year to get her ready. TWTM just hasn't been working well for her. She has mild APD, mild dyslexia w/ writing disability, and possibly ADHD inattentive type. I have Omnibus I and was planning to use it, but without trying to finish all the books. However, I think using it even on a relaxed schedule will overwhelm her. I've been looking at AO this week and I think it will be a good fit for her. We are just finishing up Modern History, so I think we'll start with Year 6, Term 2, since that's where ancient history begins.

Anyway ... I was thinking of having her start with Pre-7 just to get her used to the Ambleside (CM) way.

What do you think?

I like AO and visit their site with fair regularity, but I have never used it.:001_huh:

For oldest ds SL was a good fit.

Middle ds found his groove with WP this year.

My little man is only 6 and, while WP was a lot of fun, I will be adding some poetry and lit selections from AO1 next year.

IMHO, coming from someone who has never used AO, I think the trick with AO is to remember to organize your day in a CM fashion. Don't do everything every day. Keep the structured school portion of your day brief: keep subject sessions short and sweet. Pay attention to masterly inactivity and the outdoors. If you allow it, AO looks like it could become an overwhelming monster of a program.

Hope that was more helpful :D

Mandy