Menu

Need help with copywork and dictation

CCMom11

I know it can't be that hard, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this well. I'm looking to simplify next year and have realized that if I would have just done copywork and dictation consistently and well, I wouldn't have needed so many things that overlap. In my effort to be "thorough and rigorous", I have ended up with too much to do. For instance, I have used a copybook, a spelling program, Wordly Wise, a grammar program, Daily Language Review and other workbooks. I'm starting to think that if I just did copywork and dictation, I could cover spelling, a lot of grammar, vocabulary and penmanship in less time (for me and dc). But, I've always been afraid to put things aside and I don't really know how to start. Most of the copybooks I've seen are for beginning handwriting. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, and resources that you can share (think: Copywork and Dictation for Dummies). It's not that I won't add anything to this, I just think think I am doing way too much.

Next year, my children will be in K, 1st, 3rd, and 5th grade. Thanks!

Wow! Take a deep breath. Does sound like you are doing way too much.

One suggestion would be to look at something like Spelling Wisdom which would give you prepared dictation passages that you would copy on day 1, review vocabulary or trouble words on day 2 and dictate on day 3. With a prepared program at least you know that the sentences/passages are increasing in difficulty as the program goes on.

The other option would be to choose a sentence or passage from a book the child is reading and do the same thing. Copy work day 1, review vocab and/or trouble words on day 2 and dictate on day 3. You could create a day 4 to review spelling rules, anything they got wrong.

It would definately cover spelling, vocab, penmanship and some grammar. Although you will still need to discuss parts of speech and punctuation.

For your K and 1st they still may need phonics instruction too.

By the way my DC are only little so i have not BTDT but I do have a plan to work like that above when they are old enough.

I'm looking to simplify next year

(think: Copywork and Dictation for Dummies).

I think Writing With Ease would fit this description. It teaches copywork/dictation and narration. Do a search on Writing With Ease or WWE on the boards and see what you think. Also have a look at the sample chapters of it at the Peace Hill Press site. It's one book that covers 4 years' worth of this type of writing, and you can plug each kid in at a level appropriate for him/her.

To simplify, I'd say you just need a writing program (WWE), a spelling program, a grammar program, and something to teach reading to kids who don't know how yet. Vocab can wait til after a spelling program is done, like somewhere in grades 5 to 8ish.

Wow! Take a deep breath. Does sound like you are doing way too much.

One suggestion would be to look at something like Spelling Wisdom which would give you prepared dictation passages that you would copy on day 1, review vocabulary or trouble words on day 2 and dictate on day 3. With a prepared program at least you know that the sentences/passages are increasing in difficulty as the program goes on.

The other option would be to choose a sentence or passage from a book the child is reading and do the same thing. Copy work day 1, review vocab and/or trouble words on day 2 and dictate on day 3. You could create a day 4 to review spelling rules, anything they got wrong.

It would definately cover spelling, vocab, penmanship and some grammar. Although you will still need to discuss parts of speech and punctuation.

For your K and 1st they still may need phonics instruction too.

By the way my DC are only little so i have not BTDT but I do have a plan to work like that above when they are old enough.

:iagree: or Simply Spelling from Shoelace books. I use SS, but I am going to get Spelling Wisdom for variety soon.