Menu

Art of Problem Solving

I think that they are wonderful supplements. AoPS is highly recommended - they also have a great website with forums/classes for mathies.

Should add that my oldest ds has participated in AMC since middle school grades (now in 11th grade) and glad to hear of others taking advantage of the opportunity. I attribute his good math scores on the SAT to his participation in these contests.

Edited by Susie-Knits

Yes!! We are long-time Art of Problem Solving fans here. My kids used both of these volumes and the AoPS forums to prepare (quite successfully) for the AMC contests. As I was making my dd's transcript this weekend, I realized that she's also taken 8 of their online courses over the years - all highly recommended! My son loved it so much that he now TA's for them part-time while in college.

For AMC 8 or 10 prep, AoPS Vol 1 would be most useful. Volume 2 would be great for AMC-12 or AIME and up. In addition, you can purchase old copies of AMC-8 contests directly from the folks that run them. They are quite inexpensive and great for practice.

Oh, and regardless of whether you like competition math (we LOVE it, but some excellent math students don't), AoPS materials and classes are great for any student looking for a math challenge.

Kathy

Edited by Kathy in Richmond