Menu

Notgrass Exploring American and SL 100

Do you mean doing both completely? I think that would be too much. But we are big SL fans and did use some of both. She used the Notgrass history volumes as the spine and I didn't buy the SL Instructor Guide. I added in some of the reading books from SL as my dd loves to read. In a few areas, I felt that she needed more information in history - for instance on the American Revolution. I have the Hakim books, and pulled one of the volumes out for additional information. She also used Lightning Lit as I wanted more lit analysis than Notgrass provided.

Hope that helps some.

Veronica

Veronica,

I was thinking of buying the IG for SL 100 and using the guide for extra lit. to read. My dd will be doing Classical Writing for Older Beginners, as well. Do you think that the LL for Amer. History would be too much? I don't want to overload her, but I do want to challenge her.

Thanks!

Well, I just was ready to post something about literary analysis and then noticed your daughter's age. Would she be going into 8th grade next year? If so, I wouldn't do LL American Lit. LL includes The Scarlett Letter, Moby Dick, and some others that I think would probably be better understood in high school (if Moby Dick can be understood - lol!). I think if she is not in high school next year, I would just choose one or the other. If you choose Notgrass then just add some fiction from the SL list. SL for 8th or 9th grade is complete as is, in my opinion. I really liked the conciseness of Notgrass, but my dd loves SL and for her sake I wish I had gone the SL100 route. We just had a really busy year when she did American History in 10th grade, and I was concerned she might not have the time to read all 10 (or 11?) Hakim books.

Hope that helps.

Veronica

She is going into "8th" grade by her age. However, she's extremely gifted and reads EVERYTHING. She read Shakespeare 3 years ago for the 1st time and understood it! I am looking for something to challenge her. She is a wonderful writer of fiction, but I want to expose her to the CW style of writing. I guess I could wait on the literary analysis until a later age, but truly, will count next year as "9th" grade. Here are the courses she'll take:

Henle Latin 2nd year

Spanish 3

Notgrass Exp. America with SL 100 books thrown in

LOF Advanced Algebra/ Saxon supplements

CW for Older Beginners

?LL ?

Apologia Biology

piano

drama club

She could read all the Hakim books easily - we go to the library 1-2 times/week. I realize I am rambling and I am sorry. Just trying to get all my thoughts out.

We are using BOTH Exploring America and SL 100 this year---but modified. DD is doing SL 100 completely, using the Hewitt tests---and reading the Exploring America and some of the lit. We started out trying to do it all---but it was just too much. Some of the writing assignments are good in Exploring America, so we just pick and choose. We don't use the tests----it was busy work and the questions were just not very deep. Same with the Lit questions. Simple recall and not what I was looking for as far as lit analysis. She is ONLY reading the Exploring America books that are not scheduled in SL 400---as she will use that in 12th. The Exploring America program requires a HUGE amount of reading-----they don't give very much time for each book and so it works out to too much reading and really, going through the books way too fast to digest anything.

That said---they are compatible programs----but too much to do each 100%. ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Dulcimeramy
We are using BOTH Exploring America and SL 100 this year---but modified. DD is doing SL 100 completely, using the Hewitt tests---and reading the Exploring America and some of the lit. We started out trying to do it all---but it was just too much. Some of the writing assignments are good in Exploring America, so we just pick and choose. We don't use the tests----it was busy work and the questions were just not very deep. Same with the Lit questions. Simple recall and not what I was looking for as far as lit analysis. She is ONLY reading the Exploring America books that are not scheduled in SL 400---as she will use that in 12th. The Exploring America program requires a HUGE amount of reading-----they don't give very much time for each book and so it works out to too much reading and really, going through the books way too fast to digest anything.

That said---they are compatible programs----but too much to do each 100%. ;)

Do you think it would be possible to incorporate just the "American Voices" book with SL 100?

Do you think it would be possible to incorporate just the "American Voices" book with SL 100?

You know what I found? That American Voices contains basically all the same documents as the History of US book 11 resource book!! And the SL notes contain some of the additional documents found in American Voices. I wish I had had more time to look at both programs before scheduling them in---SL Core 100 is far superior to Exploring America:tongue_smilie:

Guest Dulcimeramy
You know what I found? That American Voices contains basically all the same documents as the History of US book 11 resource book!! And the SL notes contain some of the additional documents found in American Voices. I wish I had had more time to look at both programs before scheduling them in---SL Core 100 is far superior to Exploring America:tongue_smilie:

Oh, I am soooo glad to hear that!! I bought Core 100 used, and I'm only just pre-reading. Hadn't even glanced at the History of US books or the IG yet. I did not want to add to SL but I wanted my son to read more primary source stuff than I saw at first glance.

Wow. Thanks for this info!