Menu

Does anyone award credit for NCFCA?

Hi again,:)

Does anyone award credit for invovlement in NCFCA? My sophomore is competing in debate and one speech event (apologetics).

I'm wondering about awarding some credit for it since he puts tons of time into it with research and preparation.

TIA for any input.:)

Yes, I am giving my son 1 speech credit for debate. His debate club meets once a week usually for 3 hours, sometimes 4. He spends at least an hour( probably more like 2) on prep. I figure he needs to be spending at least 4 hours a week on something to make it credit worthy.

He is also doing Apologetics. I am only giving him .50 credit on that. The meeting is only every other week, and he does not spend as much time on it.

On his transcript, I will mark the tournaments as extra curricular. I want colleges to see he participated in activities outside school.

We claimed it for credit for one year, partly to show some work in the arts on the transcript. After the first year, we are counting the time as an extracurricular activity. Actually, I schedule it for my dc as a class on our charts, even when we are counting it as extracurricular. You can use it for either depending on how you want/need to strengthen the transcript.

Lisa

P.S. Interestingly, in Florida, it can count as a fine arts or language arts credit, but the state colleges and our state scholarship fund only recognizes speech/debate as a fine arts. :001_huh: I'm learning to look at all the details in this transcript/credit business. :tongue_smilie: