Menu

NWEA in 95 percentile in 2 test in 8th grade

ThePickle

Hi, i scored above the 95 percentile in 2 nwea tests last school year (I'm going to be a freshmen) which was in Science (Score: 243) and Reading (Score: 249). i also scored in the mid-80's percentile for the mathmatics (Score: 253) section of the test. I'm currently not in any Advanced or accerlated classrooms (My school offers them but wont let me in).

Can i some how legally get them to put me into the acceralated classroom if i have a nationally standardized test that is above the 95th percentile? (I live in Michigan if laws are state regulated)

Edited by ThePickle

Don't know about Michigan, but parents generally are able to lobby for accelerated placement in most states.  That doesn't mean that they will always be successful - parents on this site can tell you all kinds of stories about how difficult that process can be.  Legal routes rarely end up in a good place.

Your best bet is to keep your grades high (if not all A's, that can work against you), and look for alternative testing if available.  The school will want to see that you have a better-than-average chance of success in the more accelerated courses.

In science, for example, mathematics is a very reliable indicator of success.  Read ahead, work ahead, and make sure you are competing for the best grades in class.  Then you will have a chance at jumping into a more accelerated path there, which will open up doors in science.

• Like 1

You will need to check out the laws in your state.  I don't know about Michigan law, but in my state, if a parent signs a waiver, the school has to admit the student into the honors/AP level of the class.  Don't rely on your school district to disclose this information - you will have to verify the laws in Michigan yourself.

Good luck

• Like 1

You will need to check out the laws in your state.  I don't know about Michigan law, but in my state, if a parent signs a waiver, the school has to admit the student into the honors/AP level of the class.  Don't rely on your school district to disclose this information - you will have to verify the laws in Michigan yourself.

Good luck

Don't know about Michigan, but parents generally are able to lobby for accelerated placement in most states.  That doesn't mean that they will always be successful - parents on this site can tell you all kinds of stories about how difficult that process can be.  Legal routes rarely end up in a good place.

Your best bet is to keep your grades high (if not all A's, that can work against you), and look for alternative testing if available.  The school will want to see that you have a better-than-average chance of success in the more accelerated courses.

In science, for example, mathematics is a very reliable indicator of success.  Read ahead, work ahead, and make sure you are competing for the best grades in class.  Then you will have a chance at jumping into a more accelerated path there, which will open up doors in science.

Thank you both for replying! All i can find out is that the state of Michigan does not fund or mandate accelerated curriculum. I would really like to see more people's knowledge on this, and if i am qualified for an accelerated placement.

Thank you both for replying! All i can find out is that the state of Michigan does not fund or mandate accelerated curriculum. I would really like to see more people's knowledge on this, and if i am qualified for an accelerated placement.

Your best bet is to call Michigan's Board of Education and pose your questions directly to them.  Based on my personal experience, I would never rely on your public school officials to be truthful. have accurate information.