Menu

Windows 10 question

Night Elf

I recently got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 Home. It worked fine. Then there was some sort of update. Now when I put it in sleep mode, it actually shuts down. I checked settings to make sure it didn't change my 'sleep mode' settings and they were still the same. It doesn't say to shut down the computer anywhere, yet that is what my computer is doing. I put it in sleep mode and close the lid. When I reopen it, I actually have to turn on the power button and it shows a spinning cursor than the HP logo, then it goes to the lock screen picture. I miss my Windows 8.1. 

I did try to google the problem but the results I'm seeing are too complicated for me. I guess I'll have my DH look into it tonight but I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone else is having this problem. What's the point of sleep mode if all it does it shut down?

And just in case I'm mistaken, would I need to go through the HP logo screen to take the computer out of sleep mode?

• Like 1

If you go into settings -> system -> power & sleep -> in the upper right corner there will be "additional power settings", click that.   A new window will pop up and on the left menu, there should be "Choose what closing the lid does".  HTH.

ETA: if you put it into sleep mode and DON'T close the lid, is it actually in sleep mode?

Edited by WendyAndMilo

If you go into settings -> system -> power & sleep -> in the upper right corner there will be "additional power settings", click that.   A new window will pop up and on the left menu, there should be "Choose what closing the lid does".  HTH.

ETA: if you put it into sleep mode and DON'T close the lid, is it actually in sleep mode?

The setting shows Sleep only. There is a 'Shutdown Settings' section but I'm unable to check or uncheck any of the choices. They're grey. The first one says 'Turn on Fast Startup' and it's checked.

I've never had my computer sleep while it's open. If I'm not using it I close the lid. I'll try now.

There have been some issues with power settings in Windows 10 with some of the recent updates. MomsintheGarden's laptop was having problems a couple of months ago and I found instructions on the internet how to fix the problem. Unfortunately, the fix involved editing the registry.

This post offers an easy-to-try solution:

So I had the same issue since the last Windows update (also an Asus laptop). Finally managed to resolve it. I think what happened was that it somehow lost the original settings, became null or something. To resolve just go to the power setting option and under the "When I close the lid" change it to "do nothing" and save. Then open it again and change it back to "Sleep" and save. Should work now.