Menu

BookShark 5 /SL Core F ok for younger kids?

km123175

I will be leading a co-op class a couple of days per week and I'm thinking of using Bookshark 5's text Journey To the Eastern Hemisphere kinda as the spine along with the notebooking pages that goes with it.  

I know students won't get through all of Bookshark 5 just in 2 days per week, but they would read from that Journey book at home and do follow up activities and such in the class sessions. 

Here's my question, do you think the Journey to the Eastern Hemisphere is accessible as a read-a-loud to younger students?

I know the Level says it's good for 10-13. Most of the kids in the classes are in this age range.

I've also got a group of kids who are mostly 8-9. These kids would likely have their parents read the book (or sections) aloud to them at home and then we would follow up with activities and such in the classroom sessions.

Does this seem like it would work?  Does anyone else have a better idea for a "World Cultures and Geography" guide/curriculum that would work?

Thanks!

Kimberly

I would not do this as a read aloud to the ages you mentioned--it's rather dry and informational.  It is used as something kids read to find information, not follow a narrative or plot.  I think everyone's eyes would glaze over in about 3 minutes flat...

Maybe something like Trail Guide to World Geography instead?   (I've never used or seen it, just guessing here...)

I would not do this as a read aloud to the ages you mentioned--it's rather dry and informational. It is used as something kids read to find information, not follow a narrative or plot. I think everyone's eyes would glaze over in about 3 minutes flat...

Maybe something like Trail Guide to World Geography instead? (I've never used or seen it, just guessing here...)

I agree. I do think their she guidelines are good. I would not go below them.

Thanks...I'll take a look at that Trail Guide....We're going to be doing activities and such in the class; so, I'm just looking for "intro" material for home reading...but obviously I need other options.

I wasn't thinking of it as read-aloud as an enjoyable story, but rather they kids wouldn't be expected to read it themselves....but maybe even if they're just looking for a certain bit of info it's still too much.

I agree with their age guidelines generally for the entire core, but for individual books within a core, I've read them to younger students with success before.  I just don't have personal experience with that book.