Menu

Science in Ancient Times

beka87

I tried searching the forum, but didn't have much luck.  Has anyone used Berean's Science in Ancient Times?  Or any others in the series?  I am considering using Ancient Times with my going-to-be-9 year old for science this coming year...would it be enough for her?  Or is the text too easy?  It looks like it would be easily accomplished and that would be a plus for me as we will have a new little one.  Any opinions good or bad would be great!  Thank you!

We used and loved the Science in the Beginning book. We used Ancient Times for a bit but then quit. We liked it, don't get me wrong. The experiments were good and lessons were relatively easy to understand and it got done and it was no stress for me and the kids liked it. But I just didn't personally enjoy studying science through historical time periods. Turns out I prefer studying science by subject, not time period, so it wasn't a good fit for us.

But if you think you'd like studying science by historical period, it's a great program!

You need to search Science in the Ancient World. That's the actual title. The text is probably written at 5th/6th grade reading level. I taught it last year and am teaching Science in the Scientific Revolution this year at my co-op. It's been really enjoyable for my students. Last year 2nd-4th and this year 3rd-5th. I have a couple of six graders that wanted to join this year because their younger siblings enjoyed it so much. I had some moms comment that they didn't learn this stuff until jr. high. 

The supplies are pretty easy to get. There are lists by section what supplies you will need to help you plan ahead. Or you can order a supply kit which Rainbow Resource carries.