Menu

How would you word this on a resume/application?

TXBeth

I am looking for a job as an ESL teacher, either at a college or at an independent ESL program. I have a Masters in Linguistics but no TESOL or TOEFL certificate. I finished my degree 10 years ago.

Here is the problem: Since graduation, DH and I have been working for a non-profit organization. I have been technically employed (they split our family salary 90/10 DH/me for SS reasons), but I have not actually done any linguistic job during those 10 years. I have lived cross-culturally and learned other languages, but not done any translation, teaching, or linguistic research.

How do I put my current employment on an application that requires me to list a job title, responsibilities, and salary?

I feel like it would be more substantively true to say I have not been employed, but that isn't legally true and I don't want to get in trouble. Do I list it as a job with no responsibilities other than living in a foreign country, language learning, and raising my kids?

Our partnership level is so low I need to seek outside employment while my husband continues to work full time for our mission, but I am really struggling with how to enter the workforce with no real experience but an on-paper job.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk