Menu

WTM 4th Edition questions about Writing recommendation changes

matrips

I finally got around to reading the 4th edition this past week and was a bit surprised by the writing section (I'm reading the middle school stage). The amount of writing seems to be drastically reduced.  Is that true?  Or am I missing something?

Two narrative summaries (1/2 - 1 page in length) from history, science, and/or literature,  and at least one two-level outline per week from one or two pages of a nonfiction source.  Is that really it?  Is the 1/2 page or 1 page handwritten or typed?  single space or typed?  Number of paragraphs?  Are they to be treated like a formal writing assignment in varying sentences, watching word choice etc?  Or is the focus mainly on summarizing?

Is that really all?  Gone are the two letters a month, the formal writing assignments 3x/week from a writing program, and a history or science essay once a week.  

On the one hand, I must say the kids and I are thrilled!  It actually sounds do-able.  On the other hand, why such a change?  Is it enough?

We've never done the full WTM method before because it seemed overwhelming, but are planning on it this semester.  

wow...that definitely sounds more doable! I would say we do that much writing as our "across the curriculum" writing, but then my 7th grader also has a writing curriculum to teach him better writing skills. 

We did WWS1 last year and I often counted his writing assignments towards science and history to keep him from becoming overwhelmed and more reluctant to write. 

I don't have the 4th edition yet, but I am interested to see what others have to say and how they are implementing the changes.