Menu

So I grew up in the 70's. I got my ears pierced at the mall.

lynn

We go to a piercer. I did have trouble with having my ears pierced by the mall staff on two separate occasions. That could be specific to me, but I was not taking chances with my children that wanted ears pierced.

I am also of the mind that if you are going to pierce something, you go to a professional place that does it on the regular, as their profession. When I researched many years ago, I recall one of the issues with the gun is the piercing is done by blunt force, you are forcing a sharp object through the ear to make the hole. They used a hollow needle and took a long time ensuring the holes were lined up well before they did the procedure. The needle actually creates the hole in the ear. The piercer used a high grade metal (I can't remember what, but I believe it was surgical steel). They also spent time with both my children thoroughly explaining care and when we needed to go back with one child due a suspected metal allergy after we had switched earrings, they were very helpful and got us squared away. 

YMMV.