Menu

WWS 2 or W&R 5 and 6?

Aloha2U

I haven't used W&R 5 or 6 (but have used 1-4), and I have used WWS 1&2. Did you do WWS1 or any other W&R books? The reason I ask is because they are so very different, these two programs. Each has definite strengths and teaches important things, but they aren't equivalent, if you KWIM? I would make my decision based on what it is my student really needs.

So, what do you want your dc's writing program to cover?

I haven't used W&R 5 or 6 (but have used 1-4), and I have used WWS 1&2. Did you do WWS1 or any other W&R books? The reason I ask is because they are so very different, these two programs. Each has definite strengths and teaches important things, but they aren't equivalent, if you KWIM? I would make my decision based on what it is my student really needs.

So, what do you want your dc's writing program to cover?

My little man has used WWE 1-4 and W&R 1-4. We're aware of the differences and still undecided.  :laugh:

As to what I want my writing program to cover..... well, that is where I'm coming up short for an answer at present. I have a like/dislike relationship with both. Due to irregular circumstances causing our study year to run longer than initially planned, we're finishing up Week 29 of WWS 1. I may need to wait until after the Final Composition in Week 36, so that gives me some time to compare and contemplate before I make a final decision.

My plan is to stick with W&R for DS, and start it with middle DD.

Oldest used WWS1/2 in a condensed year. It taught her many things, but it isn't effective with her learning style. She needs a big picture and then the nuts and bolts, with frequent reference to how they fit in to the big picture. We used Essay Voyage to help with big picture context. She was too far along for the W&R release schedule, otherwise it may have worked for her.

I felt like WWS taught many great skills, and in the end pulled the skills together for creating complete papers. But it was repetitious about those skills it did cover, and the context for what you are developing those skills for was lacking. My kids do better knowing the goal, and being given a variety of ways to reach it vs being directed stepwise to the goal. It's just a learning style difference.

• Like 1