Menu

MCT's Classics in the Classroom vs. Teaching the Classics

DomesticDiva

I can't compare the two, but I've read the MCT about a dozen times. My favourite section gets its title from a quote by a professor from his college days: "Any book worth its salt will provide you with the terms for its own interpretation!"

They do not write [books] hoping to be STUDIED. They write their books in rich, resonant, self-interpreting language, and this language is to be folded back on the book. With care. Each book is designed to open itself. [Followed by examples.]

What is gained by asking if Holden Caulfield is a
protagonist
? I do think that such terms should be part of what students learn, but we need not deceive ourselves that such helpful concepts are the path to enlightenment. That path is left by the author within the book, and if we do not make ourselves transparent and take the author's path, then it is pointless to look for external assistance in understanding the book.

Thanks for the comments. It definitely sounds interesting. We are using some of his other materials this year and really enjoying them. I think I'll add this to my list of things to buy when the budget allows.

Thanks!

I can't compare the two, but I've read the MCT about a dozen times. My favourite section gets its title from a quote by a professor from his college days: "Any book worth its salt will provide you with the terms for its own interpretation!"

They do not write [books] hoping to be STUDIED. They write their books in rich, resonant, self-interpreting language, and this language is to be folded back on the book. With care. Each book is designed to open itself. [Followed by examples.]

What is gained by asking if Holden Caulfield is a
protagonist
? I do think that such terms should be part of what students learn, but we need not deceive ourselves that such helpful concepts are the path to enlightenment. That path is left by the author within the book, and if we do not make ourselves transparent and take the author's path, then it is pointless to look for external assistance in understanding the book.

Hi Nmoira,

Thanks for responding.

Do you mind sharing how you go about implementing MCT's suggestions while studying the classics? Do you read them all ahead of time so that you have some discussion questions in mind?

We're not formally studying literature at this point, as I think 6 is far too young for assigned reading. However, dd will often want to discuss whatever we're currently reading, and her questions or comments are our jumping off point. I try no to impose my own views, but take a more Socratic approach and help her flesh out her own ideas.