Menu

SOTW okay to start for ages 11, 12?

dori123

Wondering if it will be too easy? Seems like you all use it for younger kids and we are late to the party. 

I just like the style and thought it would be a great read-aloud, and I'd have the kids do the activity workbooks as we read. I think of this world history more as a passive and interesting topic for them to be exposed to, as opposed to the more serious, studious approach I want them to take with US history. 

Am I thinking about this correctly? Haven't seen more than just a sample of SOTW. 

Thanks.

I wouldn't do it beyond 8th grade.  For your goals (simply exposure to World history), it would probably be fine.  It's mostly written for the lower elementary level, but you can beef it up if you want.  This year I'm teaching it to my 5th grader and the 8th grader listens in.  If I wanted to beef it up more for the 8th grader, I'd have him read books on the side and do some essay writing. 

The activity workbooks are not really workbooks. The activity guide isn't something you can hand to the kids to work on. In them are maps to fill out and coloring pages and suggestions for other books to read or activities to do.  There are also comprehension questions you can ask (with answers right next to the questions, so you can't hand it over the kids unless you figure out a way to cover the answers) and suggestions for narrations (where the student sums up what they just learned in a few sentences.) 

The maps and coloring pages are the only "workbooky" thing in them.  

Edited by Garga

There was a recent thread asking about SOTW 1 with a 7th grader; my response in post 7 would be the same here.

You could do the exact same method with a more age appropriate book, like Human Odyssey, Genevieve Foster Books, and whatnot. The only read and do the correlated workbook course I can think of off the top of my head is Notgrass.

We just read and discuss. Occasionally I'll assign a writing project.

Edited by SilverMoon

It is my understanding that SOTW was written to be read aloud to elementary students and for middle-schoolers to read on their own, so it is a great choice for grades 5-8.