Menu

Has Anyone Repeated a Middle School Grade?

I totally understand that grade levels within homeschooling can be very fluid and tough to nail down.  

On the other hand, some states do make you declare what grade a student is and test accordingly.  In addition, once you hit high school, you start building credits that will be assembled on a transcript.

If you decided that your kid wasn't ready for high school level work yet, what did that look like?  

How did you focus on skills you thought needed work?

What administrative paperwork did you do to reassign the grade as far as the state was concerned?

I would assume all states are different but we are considering this and I know what our state would require. Each year when we send in our letter of intent, the letter says something to the effect of 'We plan to study at or above grade level for history, math....' etc.  and we declare a grade. If I want to have my daughter repeat a middle school grade I would just declare the same grade two years in a row. She meets the age requirement for both her current grade and the grade beneath her. If the grade and age get too out of whack I'm sure they would contact us for an explanation, if they noticed. I know people who have been in our situation with no issue but I haven't known anyone who tried to declare their child to be a grade significantly below what would be expected for their age so can't be fully sure how that would work. 

Sort of. We stretched my oldest's 6th and 7th grades out to last three years. It was painfully obvious he simply was not ready to move on, and it was absolutely the right thing to do for him. He's in 11th grade now, and we haven't regretted the decision for a moment.

He's homeschooled in one time only notification states, so I didn't bother telling the state anything. No testing.

We didn't change his workload, but kept meeting him where he was at and moving forward from there.

• Like 1

We did just this past year. We do have to declare a grade and test every other year here. So, we decided to repeat 6th grade this year because my DD has a summer birthday and learning difficulties. We knew she wasn't ready for 7th grade level work.

It wasn't that big of a deal. When I reenrolled through our umbrella school, I just declared 6th and gave a sorry explanation. No questions were asked.