Menu

x-post: FREE Language Proficiency Tests (Western European)

I posted this yesterday on the high school board.  Joan N suggested that I post it on this forum as well.  I have since found out that the software probably will not work on a Mac.

Dialang  is not new, but it is new-to-me and I had never seen it mentioned on the boards before.

Here is how it works:

You have to install software on your computer, and then you run the program with an internet connection.  I tested my reading and listening levels in Danish today.  I thought they were good tests, even though I am pouting about my results :glare: .  

You can see the available languages here. You can take diagnostic tests in reading, writing, and listening and get a CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) result.  I don't know how accurate the results are.

The sofware is glitchy.  I downloaded it, but then the program would not open.  Launch problems seem to be common.  After going back to the technical support page, and doing a google search I was successful.  Here is what I did to make it work:

• Downloaded the old Java JRE version that Dialang links to, and placed it in the Dialang folder. Placing the Java JRE in the Dialang folder is important.  
  • Clicked the icon several times.  Just like they said on their page, I did not get a connection until I did that.
  • Like 3