Menu

Working in US History

Just wondering how others work US History in when they come to it.  Do you stop the world/global history and just focus on US History and then go back to a more global approach, or do you keep going with both sort of mixing them in, like mostly US with a little world history mixed in with it?

I have done it differently with different children.

#1 - W covered it during Year 3 and Year 4 - Early Modern and Modern. We used Spielvogel and Johnson's History of the American People. I put .5 credit World History and .5 credit US History on her transcript for each year.

#2 - We did Years 1 & 2 - Ancient and MA/RR, then we stopped and did US History for 11th grade (we used Notgrass and the Teaching Company US History dvds) and then she finished World History for 12th.

#3 - She is using the American School, so she just finished US History in 10th and will do World History soon.

#4 - For my new 9th grader, I am planning two years of World History, covering everything at a faster pace, then 1 year of US History - I am already thinking about a text for him. He'll do Eco/Govt (required courses here in NY) in 12th; I treated those as electives for my older girls.

HTH!