Menu

Planning, Scheduling, and Record Keeping (besides the transcript)

I'm following a thread on the General Education board about planning, and I wanted to ask here what sort of planners people have found useful at the high school level, and also what sort of record keeping you might recommend in my particular circumstances.  

Planners:

My daughter is in 8th this year, and we're in a local online charter school.  Every day, she logs on to the school's website, and sees the list of all the lessons and assignments she is expected to complete that day.  Once it's complete, a nice little green checkmark appears next to each item.  She really likes this and wants to continue with something similar, even though we're (in all likelihood) not continuing with this school next year.  So I'm thinking I might use My Homeschool Plan, but I was curious if anyone has additional suggestions.

Record Keeping:

We are most likely going to be using Kolbe next year, and she'll probably take some DE courses at the CC later on in high school.  So Kolbe will provide us with a transcript and diploma.  I read some of the links in the pinned threads above, and I think that in addition to the transcript, I need to be keeping:

Course descriptions/syllabi

Information about the textbooks used and literature read

Attendance hours?  (This is not required by our state.  Do college admissions care about this?)

A record of any volunteer work and extra-curricular activities that she's participated in

Good records of science lab hours, with a lab journal and photos?

Anything else that I'm missing?  I would like to try to make sure that I am keeping the right paperwork from the beginning, and not scrambling later on when she's applying to college to try to remember what she did in 9th!  Also, I freely admit, homeschooling high school is really scary to me, so this helps me feel like I've got at least a little bit of control of the situation!   :laugh:

The main thing I have gleaned is to find outside, 3rd party resources to confirm the grades the student is given.  These can be online classes, CLEP tests, SATII tests, AP tests, CBE's, or Community College classes.  Anything that is not just you as mom assigning grades.  It allows the colleges to consider you credible.  These sorts of outside verification should be interspersed throughout high school, not just crammed into the last year or so.

In all honesty, I have not done this before.  I'm on the search for what to do as well.  That piece of information has just come up time and time again.  It has been seconded by most all the colleges which my son is interested in. 

Google Lee Binz and check out her free webinars.  I've been listening for awhile and although I haven't bought any of her stuff, I'm becoming calmer and calmer just listening to her explain things.  My other suggestion is to read any written by Lori D. on this site, great stuff!