Menu

Any History of Dance programs?

CafeDiem

I recently ran across the Calvert elective... A Child's Introduction to Art: Architecture... which looks great (at least online - we haven't received it yet) and my son is really looking forward to doing next year.

Does anyone know of anything similar at a middle school-ish level on the history of dance? It can have a ballet focus or be more broad ranging in dance forms. My daughter lives and breathes dance and would love to know more about the styles, famous dancers, etc. We already have the books A Child's Introduction to Ballet: The Stories, Music, and Magic of Classical Dance and DK's Dance so something a bit more academic would be nice for an elective.

I can't seem to find anything that isn't a college level text.

I've also debated doing the Beautiful Feet History of Classical Music with her if I can't find something specific to dance. Has anyone used it?

You're not likely to find something with a comprehensive history of dance written on that level. Apollo's Angels is a great history of ballet; but is better geared to adults/bright High School students.

http://www.amazon.com/Apollos-Angels-A-History-Ballet/dp/0812968743/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

This book will have some of what you are looking for, but is primarily a training book first, with one or two page histories about famous dancers/figures and major companies. It offers coverage on the major schools of ballet, how to execute most major steps (with loads of pictures of great dancers performing them) and information on modern ballet training (pointe shoes, foot care, injury prevention, summer intensives, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/Ballet-Companion-Eliza-Gaynor-Minden/dp/074326407X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397586571&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Ballet+Companion

You could use the latter as a jumping off point to a parent designed course and delve into a bit more detail on Balanchine, Pavlova, Taglioni, Fonteyn and Nureyev (etc.) and others mentioned in the history sidebars. It also includes a historical timeline which would be a great place to pluck further topics from.

Having said that about Apollo's Angels, as a ballet obsessed 12/13 year old I read anything about ballet I could get my hands on... I would have read that in a heartbeat and not been daunted by it being over 600 pages. I also read a great many books about ballet that my parents would have been horrified if they'd realized the content. (Hello, Gelsey Kirkland autobiography!) So, know your audience. :)

I flipped through the second book I listed and it has about 25 of those history sidebars, ranging in size from 1-3 pages. So the book does offer a fair bit of ballet history, what it doesn't have is any kind of cohesion tying the events and people/places together, with the exception of the timeline. So it doesn't read like a history, it reads more like a series of Wikipedia entries. But the content is good and it has great pictures to go along with.

Thanks for the suggests. I'm going to see if our library has Apollo's Angels. I imagine we will have an entire dance shelf or two in our home library before too long. 

I came across this book History of Dance: An Interactive Arts Approach in my searches. It is for high school/college level... although after flipping through it online, I think I could tone it down and use it as a starting point for a curriculum. Frankly the writing prompts/instruction looks great for a younger age.

I am also trying to compile a list of must watch dvds for her. http://dancetimepublications.com/ had quite a few that look interesting. I wish Netflix or Amazon Prime had some of them.

There are a few great ballet documentaries on Netflix as well, including Ballets Russes and Bringing Back Balanchine, and both were pivotal companies/figures to the development of ballet in the US.  There's one called Margot about Margot Fonteyn, (her life was as fascinating as her dancing) but it has been a while since I've seen it and I'm struggling to remember if content was appropriate for middle schoolers. First Position is a great documentary about modern ballet competitions in the US, though not what you are looking for in terms of history of dance. Ballerina is a fascinating look at modern ballerinas in Russia as well.

There are some really great performance DVDs on Netflix. Let me know if you are looking for any recommendations there, they have some stellar performances by great dancers past and present.

There are a few great ballet documentaries on Netflix as well, including Ballets Russes and Bringing Back Balanchine, and both were pivotal companies/figures to the development of ballet in the US.  There's one called Margot about Margot Fonteyn, (her life was as fascinating as her dancing) but it has been a while since I've seen it and I'm struggling to remember if content was appropriate for middle schoolers. First Position is a great documentary about modern ballet competitions in the US, though not what you are looking for in terms of history of dance. Ballerina is a fascinating look at modern ballerinas in Russia as well.

There are some really great performance DVDs on Netflix. Let me know if you are looking for any recommendations there, they have some stellar performances by great dancers past and present.

I have an almost 14 year old ballet dancer as well. I would be interested in any of your recommendations as well. We have both Netflix streaming as well as DVDs. 

Janet

Here's a list of the best performances I have found on Netflix, in no particular order with the title exactly as it is found on Netflix. You'll see some of the top companies/dancers in the world this way. Unfortunately, they don't have a great selection of Russian companies and you don't want to miss the Bolshoi and Mariinsky (used to be known as Kirov), but there are incredible videos of both companies on YouTube. A simple search there will get you lost down rabbit trails for hours. 

I tend to recommend more modern DVD versions. They have a lot of great older performances of stars past, but some of the magic tends to get lost on modern audiences weaned on HD programming. :) That said, Baryshnikov and Cynthia Gregory are in the ABT at the Met and for the older girl I would recommend Fonteyn and Nureyev's Romeo and Juliet (the latter is not currently available on Netflix- library, perhaps?)

This list features some of the best companies in the world, including PNB, ABT, NYCB, Paris Opera, and Royal Ballet. Just make sure you add some Russian stuff in there. :)

Felix Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Balanchine's full length MSND; he didn't make a lot of full-length ballets, but this one sparkles)

American Ballet Theatre: The Dream (Sir Frederick Ashton's one act version of MSND, both versions are worth a watch)

American Ballet Theatre in Swan Lake

George Balanchine's The Nutcracker

The Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty

Balanchine: Jewels Joyaux

American Ballet Theatre at the Met (Includes Les Sylphides and Paquita, among a few others)

Adolphe Adam: Giselle

For the older girl I would recommend an adaptation of Romeo and Juliet; Nureyev/Fonteyn's if you can get your hands on it; Alessandra Ferri's and Wayne Eagling's if not. For 11 year old I would definitely recommend mom view this one first before deciding as the subject matter is definitely more mature.