Menu

Sonlight Scheduling

txhomemom

I just happened to get a used copy of Sonlight's Core F/5 and I am a complete newbie to using Sonlight. I am terrible at following schedules. Tried to follow Winter Promise's schedule years ago and failed. We just ended up reading the books in the order that we wanted.

Anyway, just wondering has anyone used Sonlight in a less scheduled manner. Just read through the books, do some of the discussion questions, etc without worrying what is on the schedule for the week. I guess in Core F/5 it would make more sense to go in some kind of order at least by country, but other than that, I was seriously thinking of ignoring the actual schedule and just reading through the books by country. Thought we might add in some other world geography, we have a couple of other resources like Trail Guide and a text that we could add in as we are going through each country.

It feels like a waste to not use the schedule, but just wondering if others feel like their kids learned a lot even if they did not follow everything to a T.

We are currently using Sonlight Core F, but I've had to tweak the schedule in the IG. It is way too much reading in a day for my dd12. So, I say do what works for you! :) My disclaimer, though, is that we will be going with another curriculum next year b/c the amount of reading required in SL is just not feasible in our family.

We rarely have ever done a day exactly as SL schedules. I tweek as we go. Generally read all the books in the basic order but that is about it. I consider it a rough guideline to help me stay on track. Generally when we finish a read aloud we take a day or two if needed to get everything else up to that point before moving forward.

I usually can't follow schedules, but for some reason, I find Sonlight easy to follow... But even if you don't, you can easily just pick up and read. We DO sometimes read faster than scheduled, and then I just wait until the correct week to start the next book. My son does his readers much faster than scheduled (the last one was scheduled for 2 weeks, and he finished it in a day - he liked it! :D). We just finished our read-aloud early. I just kept reading until we were done. It was interesting, and we didn't want to put it down!

While the books are usually strategically placed, there is some fudge room in there. It often doesn't matter if you do one resource before another... either way, you'll make some connections between different books you've read. And sometimes the info is presented in the history spine first, and sometimes it's in the historical fiction read-aloud first.