Menu

Classical Writing

mo2

For Aesop, you really don't need to add grammar. If you faithfully follow the plans laid out, and your dc are in 2nd or 3rd grade, then you will have plenty of grammar given to you. As far as spelling goes, the authors encourage you to use a separate spelling program, but to supplement it with words from the CW model. You can, however, build your own spelling curriculum from CW. The SWR (or WRTR) method of teaching spelling markings is what works best with CW. They provide a chart that you can use to have your dc alphabetize words, write them with spelling markings, and list related words (i.e., synonym, or words with like phonograms, or rhyming words).

For Homer and later levels, you're supposed to be using a separate grammar program as you work through the course. However, I must say that the explanations given in CW, and the practice in applying grammar is so thorough, that I'm able to skip sections of my grammar book. We only used our Rod & Staff grammar once per week. The rest of the week, we're doing the applied grammar from CW.

HTH,

CW reccommends Harvey for Grammar, and they have a schedule in there for you (I think that is right, I may have gotten my schedule from somewhere else). But you are not required to use Harvey's. I used a separate grammar program we had been using for years and didn't want to change horses. But, yes, if you buy Harvey's, they have a schedule in the book (I have 1st edition), for using the grammar book with the writing program.

And yes, as the other poster said, they incorporate (in Homer and up), vocabulary, but not really spelling. You would need a separate program for that.

as CW is very flexible. And many people use it in many different ways.

Here's how it worked out in my family:

At the Aesop level - I can't imagine not doing a dedicated spelling program at this age for my kiddos. So we do separate spelling. Since my oldest son was already beyond the Aesop grammar, we did do additional grammar at the Aesop level. But with my middle son (who will be beginning Aesop soon), we will just do the grammar in Aesop and call it good (no addtl grammar for him).

At the Homer level - I have found the applied grammar in Homer along with our Latin grammar studies to be sufficient. We do no extra grammar program alongside Homer (not Harveys either - tho, we have it on hand as a reference, if need be). We have also dropped spelling this year (6th grade. caveat: ds appears to be a natural speller. if this were not the case, I would continue with a dedicated spelling program).

So, that's how it plays out here. But, there are lots of different ways to combine spelling, grammar and CW.