Menu

Quick question about sock knitting -- pattern interpretation

I have my sock on 3 dpns in this fashion: 12-16-12.

The next step is to knit the heel flap. The instructions say to Place 20 sts on 1 needle.

R1: S11, purl across

R2: S11, K1 across

Repeat for total 20 rows.

Questions:

1. When placing the 20 on 1, does is matter which ones they come from (btw the pattern I used is just a K2, P2 ribbing so that it is the same all the way around)? Can I transfer 4 from one of the 12's onto the 16 or do I need to do 2 from each?

2. What is S11 and how do I do it?

thanks!

No, it doesn't matter which 20 stitches you pick. The 20 stitches you pick will become the heel flap. Up until you start the heel flap, it's just a tube; it doesn't matter where, on the tube, your flap starts. (Unless you have a stitch pattern where you need to be picky about how it continues on up the foot, in which case the directions will usually say something about it. But your pattern doesn't matter.)

Slip 1, purl across means that you slip the first stitch onto the right needle as if you were going to purl it, but you don't actually purl it. Just slip it over without working it, then purl the next stitch, and all the rest of the stitches, as normal. Slip 1, knit 1 across means (I think) that you alternate slipping stitches with knitting them.

So, on the purling side (the "wrong" side), you're only slipping that first stitch. On the knit side (the "right" side), you're slipping one then knitting one over and over until you get to the end.

Here's an explanation of slipped stitches, with pics:

Slip Stitches

Good luck! Ready to post pictures yet?

Do you have a link for the pattern? It doesn't matter where your 20 stitches come from, I do know that, but for the other, I would like to look at the actual pattern, if you don't mind.

Never mind, I see that that was a Slip 1. For some reason, I was reading is as a slip 11, and that didn't seem right to me.

Introducing -- the sock! I posted a picture.

The pattern did say S11!~

http://www.socknitters.com/PATTERNS/basicsox.htm

Here's the link. Wait, does it say Sl one not S eleven?

That makes more sense. Still need to review how to do it.

Also, with the pattern, I did K2 P2 all the way instead of switching to stockinette. It was easier for me to do that as I was on a roll.

I'm almost certain it is to be interpreted as 'slip 1' and not 'slip 11'. It doesn't make sense to slip eleven stitches in a sock heel, they would open and leave gaps. Anyway, to slip, just insert the working needle as if to purl, but don't wrap the yarn to make a new stitch, just slip it onto the needle. Then knit or purl as many as needed. On heel flaps, you turn the work, just like flat knitting, so you would slip 1, knit 1 across the row to the end, turn the work, slip 1, then purl across to the end, turn the work, and repeat the whole thing until you have done 20 rows total. The slipped stitches give you places to pick up and connect the heel flap to the top of the sock, called gussets. Here is a link for a video tutorial of how to do a sock heel. It's for a baby sock, but it shows you how to slip, turn the work, and so forth.

The ribbing doesn't matter, but you will have to stop ribbing at this point. During the time you are working the heel, the other stitches just hang there. They will be come the top of the sock later.