Menu

Help me make a fluffy quiche, please

A local coffee shop has wonderful quiche- it's light and fluffy and so tasty. When I make quiche, it's not fluffy- it's kind of dense and flat. What am I doing wrong? Recipes seem to vary wildly- one calls for 4 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk, the next calls for 4 eggs and 2 cups of milk.

I like zucchini, mushrooms, onion, asparagus, broccoli, and such in my quiche- help me make a quiche with any of these please.

I make a classic French quiche. The recipe I use is similar to this one. Don't over-beat the eggs, that will make it too dense. You can add whatever you want. Definitely cook the veggies first so that your quiche doesn't have too much water in it (same thing with meatloaf, btw).

How fluffy is it? Sometimes people add flour, baking powder and/or evaporated milk to get something that is much fluffier. For example, I make a casserole similar to this that is quite fluffy, but then it isn't very quiche-like to me.

Only 2 eggs for a whole quiche? And cooking at 450 for 45 minutes? Wow!

I saute the veggies first so they're not watery- I have had quiche with too much liquid and it's awful.

It doesn't have to be super fluffy but I don't want it to be as dense as flan.

I think maybe I'm looking for something less classic - I just figured that fluffy was how it was supposed to be.

Try the classic recipe, and then play with it. Try adding a little flour, a little baking powder and see if you get the texture closer to where you want it. Start out with a tablespoon of flour and a teaspoon of baking powder. Oh! Another possibility? Separate your eggs and beat the egg whites, blending everything together at the end. That will also make it fluffier.