Menu

Backup party ideas needed

Can you just set a rain date instead of moving it indoors?

I guess the activities will depend on how many kids you will have, and how much open space you have in the house.

Some things are easy and portable, like hula dancing, making fruit kabobs, sand art.

Keeping my fingers crossed for sunshine!

She's turning 8! That's a perfect age to set up a "beach" in your living room or basement or other big space (garage? sun porch? covered patio?). Lay out beach and/or bath towels. Set up regular umbrellas to look like beach umbrellas. Have a couple of blow up balls for the kids to play with--or balloons. If you have a small pool, set that up (but I wouldn't put water in it). Go all out with beach picnic food, and make a cake with "sand" (brown sugar) as part of the decorating. Buy a couple of hula hoops and cheap sunglasses. Play Beach Boys music.

(We would sometimes have "beach" days for school in the middle of winter. My kids would wear bathing suits, I'd turn up the heat, and they'd do school work on beach towels. Oh, I miss those younger years!)