Menu

Recipe for Reading

My ds's tutor has suggested this program. The tutor is an Orton-Gillingham tutor. Has anyone used this? My son is most likely dyslexic(no official testing), has sensory integration dysfunction, and if in public school would be considered ADD/Adhd.

Thanks,

Vickie

Vickie,

This is a used copy that I picked up. No CDs with this one.

The book is separated into sections. The first section explains the technique and method to teach reading. Each of the other four sections breaks down the rest of the English language into phonograms and gives step by step instructions in how to teach Visually, Auditorily and Kinesthetically. There are words that apply to each phonogram, sentences for dictating, tests, etc.

hth

I actually owned it at one point. It was an older copy, before cds were around. I don't know if newer versions contain cds or not.

It looked like a good program and epsbooks carried the supplemental materials for it back when I had it. I never used it though. I picked it up because it was $0.25 at Goodwill and I figured somebody in my hs group could use it. I picked up Miquon Lab Sheet Annotations the same way and ended up loving that program.

link to epsbooks supplemental materials:

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=491M

I gave it away to somebody long before I knew that my youngest was dyslexic.

Thanks for the link. When I did a search recently the site wouldn't open for me.

It looks like there are student books, cd's, and a teacher book. Readers are available to purchase. I wish there was a scripted program for me to teach from.

Vickie

How old is your son, and what reading level is he on? If he's at a 4th grade reading level, REWARDS is an excellent scripted program.

Barton might be scripted. Someone on this board uses it, so you might start a thread about Barton and ask.