Menu

Math recommendations ?

debbiec

I have a Down Syndrome son who we are afterschooling, and will definitely homeschool this fall. I already have HS'd older 14 year old brother for 5 years, so this won't be entirely new.

But, his main struggle is math. He is 11 years old and we are REALLY struglling with basic math. He memorizes well, and can use a calculator, but I really want him to be able to understand the math somewhat. We are aiming for lifeskills, money, time, etc...He can count to 100 +, count by 10's, but conceptually, he doesn't get it. WE really have to get these basics down before I can even think he will understand time or money (though he knows all the coins, and that one is worth more, but doesn't understand the amounts at all).

Some have recommended MATH U SEE, working with rods, etc...

I have looked some at Kumon on line. Someone told me you can get this at the homeschool curriculum fair. It teaches one concept at a time until mastery. I think that kind of program would work and am hopeing to find some other similar options.

Any experience with teaching math concepts. This is hard for me, because son #1 was smart. We have used Saxon, and just got it so easily.

Thanks ~