Menu

Apologia Gen and Physical Science...Study Guide ??

jpklehm

At one point not too long ago, there was a thread where someone mentioned that they have their child do the module study guide WHILE he/she is reading through the module, instead of waiting until the end. Last year my son was working though General Science and I was having him do the Study Guide and Summary at the end, spending 2 - 3 days doing these before taking the test. He LOVES the book but didn't care for doing all this work at the end.

Does anyone else have their dc work through the Study Guide while reading the module, or do most of you wait until the end of the modules to do it?

My son is beginning Physical Science tomorrow and I'd like to make it more enjoyable for him, if at all possible. (He loves the book so much that he's already read through part of it! :))

Thanks!

Pam

We just started Gen. Sci., and I think we'll do it at the end, and probably just orally, or maybe not, depends on how much time I have. I downloaded a lesson plan from donnayoung.org that she uses to work through it independently. They also have a note sheet for the scientists of Module 1, and I have been having her do a 3 pt. outline as she goes so doing the study guide at the end should be easy for her, but we'll see next week. It seems to make more sense to me to do it at the end for review.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

When we did Biology I had my children complete the sections of the Study Guide a day or two after they read the material and then the Module Summary at the end. I felt that reviewing the material by doing the Study Guide a day or two after reading vs. doing it all at the end helped them learn the material better. Doing both the Study Guide and the Module Summary at the end feels too much like cramming for a test to me.

I have my dd write down all the vocabulary as she goes through the chapter, I don't have her do the vocab questions in the end study guide.

I do have her do the study guide at the end of the module. I have found that it can be done in two days, one day for all the questions and one day for the vocabulary appendix. I have found that if she does this good from memory that no studying is needed and she passes the tests easily. If she misses a lot then we go back and correct and make sure understanding is present before doing the tests. These study guide are like study sheets for the test.

Lynda