Menu

Self-study options for higher-level maths...ugh!!

I finally got the geometry review taken care of, but still have finalize plans for Alg2 for one and Precalculus for the other, and possibly calc or stats beyond that. Since we can't stick with what they've been doing and have to start a new math curriculum, I've been asking for opinions, reading reviews, comparing TOCs from books, and more. This is my attempt at a neutral summary of options I see for self-study, trying to assess usability, rigor, etc. I would REALLY appreciate feedback to see if my understanding seems more or less accurate. Some of my own questions are in italics. OK, self-study options:

- Chalkdust: top-notch program, very thorough, rigorous, well-respected; DVD portion is pretty much required for self-study because the book on it's own doesn't explain as well; DVD segments are 15-60m. Tends to be more expensive.

- Foerster's: sounds top-notch, but from what I've read I don't think it will work well for self-study at the precalc/calc level w/o some kind of Math Without Borders DVD like there is for Foerster's the lower levels (and that is not available).

- Lial's: well-suited for self-study with good explanations; DVTs useful at times, but somewhat optional and not really needed most of the time. DVT segments are 15-20m on average, when needed. Not quite as rigorous as Chalkdust, but still very solid, very thorough, good coverage of topics. Should strongly consider getting the graphing calculator supplement.

- TT: user-friendly for self-study; not as rigorous in the breadth or depth of material covered compared to Chalkdust. I've heard that precalc steps it up a little, so maybe this is somewhat comparable to Lial's in this respect, at the precalc level?? Doesn't offer calculus, which is a negative for me because I don't want to switch again if DDs do calc. Not sure about graphing calculator use.

- MUS: user-friendly for self-study; not as rigorous in the breadth or depth of material covered compared to Chalkdust. Topics that are covered tend to be well-understood by students. Somewhat comparable to Lial's and TT in this respect?? Not sure about graphing calculator use. Calculus now available, which they say should prepare a student for the CLEP test... but they make no claims about AP Calc and that's the route we would more likely pursue. I'm uncertain how different the AP and CLEP calc tests are. Maybe some supplementing with LoF, Lial's, or AoPS would help boost this program to a higher level??

- LoF: Could be stand alone, but most people would use it as a supplement, or supplement LoF with more problems from another text. Maybe Lial's would work well for this?? Math applications wrapped into an engaging story line. Written by a former high school and college math teacher. Author is accessible by email and phone for questions. Trig and beginning of Calc book would cover precalc topics. Does offer Calculus, Statistics, and Linear Algebra texts.

- AoPS: very different approach to math, well-suited to "high-performing math students" (AoPS' words). Encourages creative thinking and problem solving. If using at this higher level, would probably need to supplement with more standard textbook problems for the sake of standardized testing. Online classes available; not sure how texts on their own would work for self-study though. Maybe good as a supplement to TT or MUS or LoF for the motivated student who wants more explanation offered by the other programs??

Do you think this is somewhat accurate? If anyone can help some of my italicized questions, that would be fabulous! Thank you!

Edited by StaceyZ

For Chalkdust, be aware that I have had lots of problems with the cheaper dvds produced for Houghton-Mifflin. I know that at least one other poster has had problems with this as well and had the same problems for the same lectures. This was for the Precalculus book.

Kinetic Books is great for self-study, but only goes up to Algebra II right now.