Menu

How are we supposed to fit it all in???

I'm getting my 8th grade plan together, but since she's ahead on some things, I'm trying to make it an 8th/9th schedule. And I'm not getting it all done! So I've got the following:

Vocab from classical roots--2.5 hrs

R&S grammar (last book)-- 2.5

reading/writing (Ancients) 3

logic--5

math--5

Latin--3

German II--3

Science--3

history (ancients)--3

So it doesn't look so bad on paper, but by the time you factor in a start time (8:15, after showering from our run), a 15 min snack break at 10, 45 for lunch, and then ending at 2:30 so she can get to swimming, there's no time!

Any ideas?

Jeri

Maybe you're right! She's actually done CW Aesop, Homer, adn Maxim and I *think* she's got a ton of grammar under her belt from that. But you give me a good idea! Maybe I could have her just do the chapter reviews in the R&S book and if they're great, she could skip the chapter. I'm just thinking that this is the last time to really cement grammar--but thank you so much for giving me permission to pass on this! And that would free up a whopping 2.5 hours!

Jeri

:iagree:

Yup....I agree with Greta Lea about the Vocabulary program and Latin being too much. It should suffice well to just do Latin and read some of the great books for history and literature. Both are terrific vocabulary builders.

Do you plan to continue CW? I would prioritize all the time you need for it. The writing and thinking developed there are the essential skill subjects for a lifetime of learning. Do the history/lit/science, the content subjects, every other day, either TT or MWF.

Could you do one language study, German or Latin? And do roots or grammar maybe 1 semester of one then 1 semester of the other? That would give you 5.5 more hrs. If she's studying latin maybe drop roots for now (you could pick up English from the Roots Up over the summer and focus on the Greek roots if she studies Latin during the year). And she's probably picking up grammar both intuitively and directly from Latin and from reading of better books. If that is still too much I'd keep science, go easier on history, drop logic but not mess with reading, writing and math at all. JMHO:)

Sharon

What logic will your dc be doing next year? Mine have done Fallacy Detective, Thinking Toolbox, Nance's/Wilson's Intro to Logic and Traditional Logic I and II and none have taken 5 hours per week yet (the latter half of TL does take a bit longer than the others). So you may possibly see some time saved there.

Also, hs (and often 8th grade) is a time when my dc often worked either longer into the afternoon of, if we left for an activity, finished their work after dinner. By 10th grade, my dc have often used weekends to complete their work, or even get up early.

Lisa

P.S. For efficiency sake, you could stagger some of the work. She might, for instance, start and finish R & S the first semester and then pick up logic the second. Not everything has to be started Day 1 of school and completed Day 180. If she has a heavy sports or extracurricular schedule, use the summer to lighten her school-year load.

We are living in Germany so she really wants to continue that. Somehow, I think she needs that vocab program, but I reread WTM and she thinks it's only about 5 min for 4 days a week. So that's better. Thanks for the info on Logic--I posted elsewhere asking how much time it takes. I was hoping it wouldnt' be an hour a day. Feeling better . . .

Jeri