Menu

***Can we actually design our own AP courses....to put on a transcript?

cshell

So, if we use a college level text & complete all the required AP labs...

Can we actually put AP Biology with labs on their transcript???

Please let me know.:001_smile:

Is there more to this?

Does our AP school work need to be approved my the College Board????

I think I read that it doesn't???

So, if we use a college level text & complete all the required AP labs...

Can we actually put AP Biology with labs on their transcript???

Please let me know.:001_smile:

Is there more to this?

Does our AP school work need to be approved my the College Board????

I think I read that it doesn't???

It does have to be approved by the College Board if you call it "AP", but that's not all that hard, actually. Write up a detailed syllabus (there are examples on the College Board site) and submit it for approval. I had our statistics course approved last year, and it only took a day or two to hear back. You do need quite a bit of detail on the syllabus though, and for AP Bio I think they're specific as to the labs that are required. I've never done that one myself so I'm not speaking from experience on that one.

The other choice is to just do what you were going to do anyway, don't bother with College Board approval, call it Biology or maybe "Honors" Biology for the transcript, but follow it with the score your kid gets on the AP exam. That should be a very reasonable approach, transcript-wise.

You could put a notation on the transcript that the course is "AP equivalent". The high school I attended only had one "official" AP course because only the biology teacher was willing to jump through the College Board's hoops to get the designation. But honors calculus, honors English Lit., etc. were notated as "AP equivalent" and most of the students who took the exams received 4's or 5's.

"AP" is pretty meaningless, imo, without the test to back it up. This is *especially* true for a parent designed course. An objective measure administered by an unbiased agent is necessary to validate the course label.

I wouldn't worry about the label on the transcript if you plan to utilize the test. The scores will speak for themselves.