Menu

Apologia General Science, 6th grade too young?

FloridaMomTo5

Do you use this Science program or have you? I have enjoyed the Elementary Science books, but need something more for my dd. She is going to be a 6th grader next year. Is this a good time to start with the older Science books from Apologia? I know it says typically it is used with 7th graders, but she is an advanced student who needs a challenge. Is there a placement test that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

Beth

I don't know of any placement test, but I can say from experience that this book is pretty challenging. You can see sample modules on the Apologia website and judge for yourself.

Has your DD done Zoo 3 yet? That one is by far the most challenging of the Elementary series and there are ways to make it more challenging for students who need it. I have a pdf file that another homeschool mom created....it is lesson plans for Zoo 3 that are appropriate for middle school. If you want it pm me with your email and I will send it to you.

I am currently teaching this as a two year co-op class for 5th and 6th graders. We will be finishing up the first year in a couple of weeks and all of the kids have done really well. I did let them take the first module test as "open book" because it is the hardest module, and I didn't want them to become discouraged. We typically spend 3-4 weeks on each module and add in several hands on experiments (those in the book, plus extra ones) to help solidify the concepts.

I am planning to use this with my middle dd when she is in 6th grade next year. She looked at samples of Apologia and BJU online and chose this one herself. I'm giving us the option of stretching it over two years if needed. She is very sciency and already has goals related to her science studies in middle and high school. We'll see how it goes, but I'm trying to honor her ambition. ;)

I just got it for my upcoming 5th grader and she is SOOOO excited about doing it. She's very "sciencey" - I also got her her audio book for it so she can follow along in the book because some of the words may be harder for her to pronounce.

My thing is that she will still be fine if we have to drag it out over 2 years - does that make sense?

For me - it's not as exciting as the Physical Science or of the specialty sciences - but she wants to get to the Marine Biology book so we looked at a course of action that would get us there :)

I just got it for my upcoming 5th grader and she is SOOOO excited about doing it. She's very "sciencey" - I also got her her audio book for it so she can follow along in the book because some of the words may be harder for her to pronounce.

My thing is that she will still be fine if we have to drag it out over 2 years - does that make sense?

For me - it's not as exciting as the Physical Science or of the specialty sciences - but she wants to get to the Marine Biology book so we looked at a course of action that would get us there :)

This is interesting... my dd is also interested in the Marine Biology course. Was there a list of pre-requisites somewhere that helped you plan out things?

I think it could work just fine. Ds did the first half of Physical science in 6th because that was his interest. The second half was more challenging so he did General Sci in 7th. In 8th he finished up Physical and did a couple of Prentice Hall Science Explorers. Can't remember which ones. He did fine with our hodge-podge approach. He's now attending a small private school where they do a different publisher's Physical Science and he is getting a high A in that class. I think if the student is interested you can make your science program work for him/her.

Cinder

I think this would depend on your child comprehension level. It is a basic overview of science. You may have to take a bit longer with some of the modules than older students. The first module is especially tough with lots of memorization of scientists/inventions....I think you would be fine if you slowed the pace down a bit...

wendy

My plan:

5th/6th - General Science

7th - Physical Science

8th - Biology (we live on a farm where she knows about breeding and things like that - she "gets" it)

9th - Chemistry

10th - Marine Biology

11th - Advanced Biology

Then we will see..... neither one of us want to go through Physics ;) It may change a little bit if she gets into the General Science and finishes it within a year, it will just push everything up a year.

next school year.

My 7th grader has been using it this year with no problems. It took a few weeks to fully adjust a new format and more textbook style of learning, but it's been a very enjoyable and productive study thus far.

My rising 6th grader is a strong reader with good comprehension skills. I'm not anticipating any difficulties and love that we will have the added advantage of having just been through it with one dd and she can assist with younger doo - what great review for her! If we need to slow it down some we will and work through it over two years.

If your child needs a challenge I woudn't hesitate to use it with her. I think you'll be surprised how quickly and easily she'll adjust. Since you're beginning in sixth, you'll have the advantage of spending more time on any modules that you need or want to slow down. JMHO.

I've used it with two of my dc when they were in 6th grade. And one year, my oldest was joined by a 5th grade friend of his. So, yes, it can be done in 6th. Our typical sequence is Apologia Physical in 7th, biology in 8th and chemistry in 9th. Having said that, I am a bit reluctant to use General in 6th, only because it's a text and I'm not crazy about text-based science in 6th.

Lisa