Menu

Anyone seen/used One Year Adventure Novel?

There is no way we can afford this right now, but it has piqued my curiosity. I received the sample DVD and had a much more positive reaction than I expected to have...

Just curious if anyone here has experience with it. Could you use this as a supplement to writing instruction, or is it so demanding (time wise) that it would be difficult to add to it? It seems to be much more than writing, actually not a writing course at all but an in depth course on the structure of the novel. What sort of credit would you give for completing the course? A literature credit?

I'd love to hear from someone who has actually used this and get their feedback. The program is professionally put together with well organized, high quality marketing. The company will be at our convention next week.

As a side note, I'd appreciate well wishes/prayers that something comes around soon for my husbands work/income so that I won't have to consider putting dd in school and going back to work full time. Right now I'm working part time out of the house and utilizing DVD courses as much as possible (which is why I looked at the One Year Novel to begin with), but something's going to have to give one way or the other soon... have had to drop all outside courses/lessons including violin which was very hard to do.

Robin

Robin,

I can't answer all your questions yet but I did want to say this. . . I bought this for my son (15yo) to give him something to work on during summer break. He is loving it!!!! He is moving quickly through the workbook mostly because he is so focused on his story and he can't wait to start writing it. ; ) I have been bombarded by his excited narrative at least once a day. He is either telling me something he learned in his lesson or how the lesson has helped inspire him regarding his characters or storyline. I'm also quite amazed at how he can now read a novel or even watch a movie and see the structure of the story. It was worth every penny!

If you choose this course, the 'teacher notes' state that this could be considered a (1 credit) creative writing class. Another thing to consider is this, is your daughter even interested in writing a novel?? The deciding factor for me was the fact that my son had been trying to write his own novel and struggling through the frustration because he didn't have the right guidance. This course is exactly the right guidance for a self-motivated student.

Hope this helps,

I'm also quite amazed at how he can now read a novel or even watch a movie and see the structure of the story. It was worth every penny!

QUOTE]

That's what intrigues me about the program. It has become apparent to me that this is not about writing so much as it is learning how fiction is put together.

My daughter is not exactly chomping at the bit to write a story, although she sure has tried a few times and couldn't figure out what to do. For me, walking away with the knowledge of what makes a good story good is worth the effort.

Thanks so much!

Robin

Sumiller, can you compare it with the free [highschool] NaNoWriMo workbook? The samples from 1YAN didn't look that impressive.....

Peek a Boo,

I finally found some time to review the NaNoWriMo site. : )

I guess if I didn't have the funds to purchase OYAN then I might consider using this workbook but to me it is far inferior to the instruction given in the OYAN Textbook, Compass and video sessions. Mr. Schwabauer gives the student the guidance and direction necessary to develop the story and characters in a way that makes others want to read it! Also, his passion as an author and his desire to share his passion come through on the video and in the textbook. The NaNoWriMo does not have that and IMHO falls flat as a teaching tool for my son.

I also asked my son to tell me what he finds most helpful about OYAN. He said that Mr. Schwabauer in each lesson gives him the big picture and then (and this is the clincher for me) he takes him through it with baby steps so that my son fully understands what he is supposed to do. After looking at the NaNoWriMo workbook, my son says the difference is in the depth of information Mr Schwabauer gives and the meaningful way he presents it. He shows how to do it (ex. conflict) and what mistakes to watch out for as a young writer. The NaNoWriMo does explain the concept but in a very bare bones way. Also, my son said he likes the many examples that are given in OYAN that show how to do it well from real books, stories and sometimes even movies.

So in the end, my recommendation would be if you have an aspiring writer invest in the One Year Adventure Novel. You will not regret it. :)

Peek a Boo,

I finally found some time to review the NaNoWriMo site. : )

I guess if I didn't have the funds to purchase OYAN then I might consider using this workbook but to me it is far inferior to the instruction given in the OYAN Textbook, Compass and video sessions. Mr. Schwabauer gives the student the guidance and direction necessary to develop the story and characters in a way that makes others want to read it! Also, his passion as an author and his desire to share his passion come through on the video and in the textbook. The NaNoWriMo does not have that and IMHO falls flat as a teaching tool for my son.

I also asked my son to tell me what he finds most helpful about OYAN. He said that Mr. Schwabauer in each lesson gives him the big picture and then (and this is the clincher for me) he takes him through it with baby steps so that my son fully understands what he is supposed to do. After looking at the NaNoWriMo workbook, my son says the difference is in the depth of information Mr Schwabauer gives and the meaningful way he presents it. He shows how to do it (ex. conflict) and what mistakes to watch out for as a young writer. The NaNoWriMo does explain the concept but in a very bare bones way. Also, my son said he likes the many examples that are given in OYAN that show how to do it well from real books, stories and sometimes even movies.

So in the end, my recommendation would be if you have an aspiring writer invest in the One Year Adventure Novel. You will not regret it. :)

aha-- Thanks;

I had forgotten about the compass and video sessions. :)

The OYAN text didn't look very deep.