Menu

Video Text vs. Teaching Textbooks for Algebra

I have recently talked to some HS moms who use these programs for Algebra. They really liked Video Text (it has been around for a number of years) and they like the new kid on the block, Teaching Textbooks.

Which do you prefer and why?

It appears that there is only about $100 difference for two years worth of algebra.

Thanks,

We looked at the VideoText sample and we have tried the Teaching Textbook Algebra 1.

Neither is our particular favourite (there isn't any one Algebra program that everyone likes or that every successful student uses), I was wondering what your dc's math background is, and what you see them doing later on. I say this, because if I were to use Teaching Textbook again, it would be for my history loving dd, not my science-geared dc. There are some good things about it, and some dc have been very successful with it, but what we saw was not rigourous (my dd though it was too easy, but she is mathy.)

What I'm planning on doing the second time around with Algebra 1 is to have my dd do Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, and then have her follow it with one of our other Algebra texts. We have quite a collection of algebra 1 texts now, as we did a lot of trial and error with our first. But before I describe any of those, I was wondering if your dc is mathy, science oriented, artsy, etc, etc. I ask this because in our house these things matter. The dd I have who will be doing LoF is probably going to love the humour in it, and will learn a lot, but I'm not so sure that my eldest will like that approach, although I did by the LoF Geometry for her to check out. The one who will like LoF loves history, is very arsty, and doesn't care much for science. The one who didn't like TT plans to major in biochem. Of course, there are other factors involved. Also, the one who didn't like TT hated the VideoText Algebra sample, but liked the VideoText Geometry sample, but they're not the same program.

I don't necessarily go with what many homeschooling parents like, although sometimes I do, because just because something is popular doesn't mean it will be best suited to my dc's needs. Also, sometimes it can be because a program is too easy (not saying this about the two you mentioned, necessarily) and doesn't get into the nitty gritty of what we need all the time. That said, I have chosen easier, less rigourous programs at certain times for certain needs and been very, very happy with that (eg, Easy Grammar in a few grades.)

Edited by Karin

We looked at the VideoText sample and we have tried the Teaching Textbook Algebra 1.

Neither is our particular favourite (there isn't any one Algebra program that everyone likes or that every successful student uses), I was wondering what your dc's math background is, and what you see them doing later on. I say this, because if I were to use Teaching Textbook again, it would be for my history loving dd, not my science-geared dc. There are some good things about it, and some dc have been very successful with it, but what we saw was not rigourous (my dd though it was too easy, but she is mathy.)

What I'm planning on doing the second time around with Algebra 1 is to have my dd do Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, and then have her follow it with one of our other Algebra texts. We have quite a collection of algebra 1 texts now, as we did a lot of trial and error with our first. But before I describe any of those, I was wondering if your dc is mathy, science oriented, artsy, etc, etc. I ask this because in our house these things matter. The dd I have who will be doing LoF is probably going to love the humour in it, and will learn a lot, but I'm not so sure that my eldest will like that approach, although I did by the LoF Geometry for her to check out. The one who will like LoF loves history, is very arsty, and doesn't care much for science. The one who didn't like TT plans to major in biochem. Of course, there are other factors involved. Also, the one who didn't like TT hated the VideoText Algebra sample, but liked the VideoText Geometry sample, but they're not the same program.

I don't necessarily go with what many homeschooling parents like, although sometimes I do, because just because something is popular doesn't mean it will be best suited to my dc's needs. Also, sometimes it can be because a program is too easy (not saying this about the two you mentioned, necessarily) and doesn't get into the nitty gritty of what we need all the time. That said, I have chosen easier, less rigourous programs at certain times for certain needs and been very, very happy with that (eg, Easy Grammar in a few grades.)

Her math background is with Rod and Staff. She loves history, art, music, intrigued by science, but science is not her strength. She has a serious/stotic personality - not sure if LOF would work for her. So do you think that Teaching Textbooks would work?

I'm just curious if any one else has any other opinions.

Why or why don't you like Teaching Textbooks? Do you think mathy kids don't like it because it's too artsy?

Why or why don't you like Videotext? Is it more logical and less fussy?

If you check the tag for Teaching Textbook you'll find some hot threads discussing Teaching Textbooks, along with its pros and cons. Math is a subject that often invokes strong feelings, and you'll find that there. There are some parents here with degrees in math or in math education who can give you a more educated opinion on these, perhaps.

I don't think TT is artsy, per se. It's fun, and while both my dd's are artsy, the one I really call artsy is also very fun loving, likes to be silly, etc, even more than most kids (does that make sense?) However, I prefer to use Algebra programs written by mathematicians as a rule (not sure about LoF.) We really like the 1965-1975 Dolciani Algebra programs. My up and coming Algebra student will ideally follow LoF with that. I like proofy math and want my dc to learn the theory and thinking behind it. Gelfand's Algebra is great for that, but it is no easy book, and some of the problems have even stumped math people on this board. Dd has never finished this, although I want her to at some point, most likely along with Algebra 2 when she's 15 and that much older.

TT can be just the thing to turn a child onto math, and apparently it can get a student to the point where they can pass the math portion of the SAT and to meet hs math requirements. Sometimes that's perfect. We don't do rigourous in every subject here, so I don't want people to think I'm being snobby. High school is a time to specialize a bit more, and for my eldest that means science, math, Latin (she wants it for science). It also means she won't be reading as many Great Books or writing as many literary anlysis essays as those with a more ideal, rigourous English program. Instead, she'll do more grammar than she really needs to help flesh out her English courses, and do a minimum of literary analysis.

Over TT & VideoText I personally prefer Lial's Beginning Algebra & probably Foerster's (I like the look of it & got it cheap, but we'd already settled on Dolciani 1965 by then).

However, if we didn't like textbooks over DVDs, I'd go with VideoText over TT, or else ChalkDust. Dd liked the ChalkDust instructor better than VideoText and it uses printed texts, but prefers to learn math from a book and hates it when I actually have to help her with it. Someone has posted a way to get those same DVDs and books for less overall cost recently.

I'll tag this thread at the bottom to link you to other TT threads.