Menu

Shipping books to Canada: What's the least expensive method?

Someone is selling me a 6 lb textbook, and we're trying to figure out the best way to ship it. She's been checking the USPS website, and thinks it will cost $26.00. I found a small packet price of $12.36. I had always been under the impression that shipping from the US to Canada was less expensive than either of those prices.

Any "experts" out there?

Lori

Edited by LBC

Someone is selling me a 6 lb textbook, and we're trying to figure out the best way to ship it. She's been checking the USPS website, and thinks it will cost $26.00. I found a small packet price of $12.36. I had always been under the impression that shipping from the US to Canada was less expensive than either of those prices.

Any "experts" out there?

Lori

:lurk5:

I was going to buy a used textbook from the States a few months ago, and it was going to be around $16 U.S. to ship.

If I know family will be visiting me, I have stuff shipped to their house and they bring it with them on their trip.

Is there an international flat rate box?

Yes, but that's the $26.00 option. Plus, I have since realized that the small packet rate doesn't apply, since the book is too heavy.

Oh well, maybe that's just the price of getting a good deal on a used book. It's still far less expensive than buying it new.

Lori

BTW Colleen - I'm so jealous that you were able to attend the PHP 10th anniversary convention!

Our Postal Service here in the US decided to do away with the cheap postage rates to ship internationally. If you buy an item that weighs less than 4 pounds, the best way to ship is via Airmail. Over 4 pounds, the various Priority Mails are really the only way to go but many times the cost of shipping it isn't worth it.

Sue