Menu

So do I want JAG or GWG5? And a question for JAG/AG users.

HappyGrace

It sounds so good to just do JAG with my 4th grader this fall-11 wks and we're done! But somehow GWG5 just seems like it includes more. She is really good with grammar-has done Shurley 3 (which is pretty advanced and the reason I'm looking at level 5 of GWG.) My original thought was do GWG5 this fall, then do no grammar the next year (which will be a busy year with Ancients study), and do AG in 6th. But I just don't think I want to spend SO much time on grammar next year-we have a lot of other things I want to get to. I do want her to have some diagramming next year.

Is there some kind of scope and sequence to show what is covered in JAG? If NOT:

JAG users-if you have time can you look at the Table of Contents for GWG5 and see how much of this is covered in JAG?http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/5thgradestudmanindex.html

And for those who have used JAG and then AG after that-does it bug your kids or seem like a waste to you that a full third of the (expensive) AG program is a rehash of the exact things in JAG?

Thanks SO much!

Edited by HappyGrace

JAG I would say is a lot more streamlined than GWG. I don't think that is good or bad just different. For example JAG doesn't teach what a sentence is, tenses or subject and verb agreement. Nor does it teach proper nous other than how to recognize them. It doesn't teach when you need to capitalize in the child's own writing. I can't say if AG does given we are still at the beginning.

Copied from the FAQ of the AG website:

A: Here is Jr. AG’s table of contents:

Unit #1: Nouns

Unit #2: Articles, and Adjectives

Unit #3: Pronouns

Unit #4: Prepositional Phrases

Unit #5: Subject & Verb

Unit #6: Adverbs

Unit #7: Patterns 1 & 2 (Sentences with and without direct objects)

Unit #8: Pattern 3 (Sentences with indirect objects)

Unit #9: Patterns 4 & 5 (Sentences with predicate nominatives and predicate adjectives)

Unit #10: Helping Verbs

Unit #11: Compound Situations

BWT the last unit focuses on how the diagram all compound situations.

We didn't use JAG and AG as prescribed. We started JAG late and have started AG a little early. Yet my dd doesn't mind the review. The sentences in AG are not simple easy examples like in JAG, so she is still challenged.

Here is the AG TOC too, just in case you were wondering:

A: Here is AG’s table of contents:

Season 1 --

Unit #1: Nouns, Articles, and Adjectives

Unit #2: Pronouns

Unit #3: Prepositional Phrases

Unit #4: Subject & Verb

Unit #5: Adverbs

Unit #6: Patterns 1 & 2 (Sentences with and without direct objects)

Unit #7: Pattern 3 (Sentences with indirect objects)

Unit #8: Patterns 4 & 5 (Sentences with predicate nominatives and predicate adjectives)

Unit #9: Helping Verbs

Unit #10: Compound Situations

Season 2 --

Unit #11: Participial Phrases

Unit #12: Gerund Phrases

Unit #13: Infinitive Phrases

Unit #14: Appositive Phrases

Unit #15: Adjectives Clauses

Unit #16: Adverb Clauses

Unit #17: Noun Clauses

Season 3 --

Unit #18: Comma Splits and Splices and Comma Rules 1, 2, & 3

Unit #19: Comma Rule 4

Unit #20: Comma Rule 5

Unit #21: Comma Rules 6, 7, & 8

Unit #22: Comma Rules 9, 10, & 11

Unit #23: Quotations

Unit #24: Dialogue

Unit #25: Titles

Unit #26: Semicolons and Colons

Unit #27: The Possessive

Unit #28: Capitalization

Unit #29: Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement

Unit #30: Subject-Verb Agreement

Unit #31: Choice of Pronoun

Unit #32: Who and Whom

Unit #33: Adjective or Adverb

Unit #34: Assorted Usage Errors (fewer/less, double negatives, singular/plural modifiers, etc.)

I am not sure if I am helping you at all. :D I do really like JAG. Do you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Heather

Heather, I was dearly hoping you would pop in on this! The TOCs were VERY helpful. At this point, I just want her to have some diagramming, plus familiarity with grammatical terms to help her with Latin. (The kids in her co-op Latin class that don't have much grammar are struggling.)

Do they diagram each of the things mentioned? I like that they parse too-her Latin (LFC) does that, and Shurley did it, and I think it gives them a good feel for sentence structure, etc.

I'm thinking GWG might be overkill, but JAG might not be enough, if that makes sense! Off to mull over TOCs....Thanks!

My oldest is doing Lively Latin, but thus far she hasn't come across problems with the grammar, but they may cover things in a very different sequence. I know LL covered Predicate Nominatives pretty quickly, so I was very glad we had covered them in JAG.

Yes it does teach diagramming, starting with prepositional phrases (unit 4), on, for every sentence. It is also open book and written to the student, so it would be fine to use JAG for reference while doing Latin homework.

Heather

LFC is pretty good about explaining the English grammar at the time they introduce the Latin counterpart, but it's just easier if they're not learning BOTH at the same time (which we DID have to do with Predicate Nominative!)

Thanks for the answers-I'm still going to spend some thinking time on it. Kind of need to step back and look at the big picture of our year, and then decide what will fit better. I'm glad to have more info to work with now-thanks!