Menu

History Odyssey Modern Times Level 1 (and a cry for help!)

Faithr

I need a hands on history unit for my to be 3rd and 5th graders. We are doing the two streams of history a la LCC 1st edition. So we do Classical studies alongside of Modern studies. I need more hands on ideas as my youngest especially is very hands on. This is my weak point because I think everybody should just curl up on a couch and read to learn!!!! Why mess up the house with all this silly craft stuff? However, my youngest and to some lesser extent my next to youngest disagree! And if I don't provide them with things to do they make up their own thing. And while I find them to be darlingly clever children (though I do say so myself!) they can be destructive, especially my youngest who is a whirlwind and who is constantly thinking up neat stuff to do that also involves cutting things up with scissors, drawing on things that ought not to be drawn on, rearranging furniture, etc, etc. She just gets an idea and goes with! Impulsive would be a very good word to describe her. Leap before you look,would be another appropriate description! I can't seem to curb her of this type of thing she is so aggressively creative, if you kwim!!!! This drives my dh nuts and he keeps telling me I have to keep her busy!

So I need to channel all that bubbling, non-stop creative energy!

I'm looking especially for hands on modern history stuff because frankly it is more appealing to me and I figure we can tie things to local fieldtrips. I've checked out Winter Promise, American Story 2 but it is expensive and I've heard not good things about it. I looked into Learning Adventures Westward and Ho! which looked perfect for my dd but it says it is for grades 4 and up and also it looks like it is way too much for us to do just a couple of times a week.

So I was checking out History Odyssey and their new modern times package. It looks pretty good too. So anyone have opinions on this? Did you have good or bad experiences with using this material? I'd like something nicely planned out that lets me tweak it to our own style/schedule.

This got long! Thanks for any input!

How about Adventures in My Father's World? Even if you don't do the whole program you could use the Teacher Guide for activities.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/adventures_my_fathers_world.htm

"Art and Music

Enjoy hands-on art projects related to history, geography, and Bible.

Learn patriotic songs with Celebrate America.

Optional music appreciation lessons focus on Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker" and more (in the Deluxe Package).

Develop a variety of art skills - drawing, colored pencils, colored markers and beginning painting - using I Can Do All Things (in the Deluxe Package)."

I've looked at History Odyssey Modern Times and it looks excellent too, but since it's the fourth book in the series I believe it's geared for upper elementary. But the projects might be good for all ages?

Good Luck!

I found the SOTW activity book to be more to my liking - History Odyssey (elementary level) seemed a little too project-y for my tastes. I think it's a great program, just not my personal style, so you may find it's exactly what you're looking for.

(I do plan to revisit when we hit the level 2 round of history, though, because I think that level will be good in our house.)

I just tried to get a sense of the activities in the SOTW 4 activity pack but I didn't see any examples or elaborations on what it contains. Can you give some idea of what it contains? Just coloring sheets and maps? Or maybe an occasional craft project?

Thanks!