Menu

ADHD meds and neuro psych evaluation

My son's Dr prescribed him concerta and said that after he had been on it for a few weks he would need to go to a higher dose. We waited a while before starting it and now my son has been on it for 2- 3 weeks so he should be going to a higher dose.

The place my son is to get a neuro psych eval called and they are seeing him on the 30th. I don't know if I should continue with the concerta now or not or whether I should up the does now or not or just wait until after the eval? I guess I am not sure how long it takes for the new dose to affect him. They did tell me he should not take his pill that morning, but bring it with him because they want to test him without it and then with.

I agree (with not changing the dose).

The last time I had a neuropsych exam, I was already medicated, and no one told me not to take my meds.

I was a bit miffed when the results came back that I didn't have attention issues or things indicative of a temporal lobe disorder - well, DUH! I was on both ADHD meds AND a drug designed to help my temporal lobe (I have seizures in my temporal lobe).

I know that neurologists take whichever anti-epileptic drug is in a patient into consideration when they do an EEG, so it was v. confusing to me that the neuropsych didn't take my meds into consideration. I would have been pleased to have been with the np you are talking about...

asta

If it was me, and I wasn't consistently taking a med (eg: it wasn't at a therapeutic level in my bloodstream) I would ask the doc about just not taking it.

ADHD stims are an interesting beast: on the one hand, some people are Rx'd to take "drug holidays" and it doesn't bother them in the slightest; on the other, some people start losing effectiveness from the yo-yoing going on in their system (which would not be there with a consistent dose).

This is really something to ask your doc about - a phone call should do it, and I doubt they would charge (usually, you ask the desk person, the desk person asks the doc when s/he has a free moment, and then the desk person calls you back with the answer).

asta