Menu

Latin question? LC or other?

LillianinAL

We have done Latina Christiana I and now II. My boys will be in 6th and 7th next year. They will still have about five lessons left in LC II when we break for summer. They have learned a lot with this, but I am wishing there was still more review in the lessons. I don't know Latin myself. I do like the Ecclesiastical pronunciation. Which would be more user-friendly for continuing in Latin next year? I thought of finishing this book and beginning Henle, or trying Latin for Children level B or C or something else? I like a Christian program.

Thanks! Lillian

Memoria Press is introducing a new program called First Form Latin, which will be available in the summer. It is in Beta form and being tested now.

My understanding is that First Form is the equivalent of LC1 and LC2 combined with just a couple of differences in scope, and it has more exercises built in.

We have just finished lesson 15 in LC2 and they've told me it will be a good follow on to that for review before we move on to Second Form which will be out the following year. I'm seriously considering it for next year.

HTH.

We have done Latina Christiana I and now II. My boys will be in 6th and 7th next year. They will still have about five lessons left in LC II when we break for summer. They have learned a lot with this, but I am wishing there was still more review in the lessons. I don't know Latin myself. I do like the Ecclesiastical pronunciation. Which would be more user-friendly for continuing in Latin next year? I thought of finishing this book and beginning Henle, or trying Latin for Children level B or C or something else? I like a Christian program.

Thanks! Lillian

More review of what? Are you reviewing the vocab and grammar form flashcards regularly? And doing the exercises in the lessons?

Ds just finished LC2 (on Thursday!). I ordered the MP Henle guides for units I and II, and III to V, along with Henle's First Year Latin. Someone here pointed out to me that since ds had done PL/LC1/LC2, we would be pleasantly surprised with the first several units of Henle - surprise, lots of review of LC!! I've looked closely at the guides and am seeing that this is true - a lot of items in units I to IV are review of LC. So - for this Latin novice, all those difficulties I had in figuring things out so I could teach my son, I am now seeing how the PL/LC sequence prepared us to start Henle. There ARE new things introduced in the beginning units, but a lot of it is familiar thanks to our preparation.

Someone else also told me here that once I started Henle with the MP guides, that it would become obvious how to continue Henle without the help of the guides, and I can sort of see that now, after looking over the guides. It's basically about how to set up a study system.

I did look into the First Form Latin, but I decided not to go with it because MP doesn't KNOW for sure when the series will be completed, and I just didn't want to be studying it alongside an uncertain production schedule. So, after being told by a couple of people here about how to use Henle, I decided to just go for it. One person even told me that she had the MP Henle guides, but didn't use them - she was able to make her own plan with their help, but because of LC preparation, she could figure it out. I was so relieved to hear it. I just wanted to get into a sequence and continue without stopping, switching, restarting, etc..

Also - definitely finish those LC lessons when you can - they quickly introduce 4th and 5th declension and you feel like there isn't enough practice - but it's a good intro. and it will be practiced more in Henle. I feel like we've "completed" something, by being introduced now to all those declensions (not to mention relieved that I actually "get" what declensions are now, and that we MADE IT THROUGH BEING INTRODUCED TO THIRD DELCENSION!! :))

hth